Chapter Nine: Sonset I

It had happened overnight

It had happened overnight. A few hours after Clark had walked her back home every news station was blowing up. Silvia couldn't find any channel not broadcasting something about the alien war criminal General Zod. Silvia flicked through to channel 52. "--during the early hours of the morning. General Zod issued the following message to every major Metropolis news network. For those of you who are uninformed, the 'Kal-El' that this warlord refers to, is indeed Superman himself." The anchor declared, before the visual cut to a static image of audio waves.

The voice that spoke next was booming with authority and power. "People of Earth. I am Zod, a child of Krypton, the same as your beloved Kal-El. I bear this message today, as a marker of an occasion of great importance. Kal-El is dead. Slain by my hand. Without your protector, you are weak and vulnerable. My companions and I can topple your feeble structures with but a breath...and thousands will die. We can burn the flesh from your brittle bones with a glare. Understand that we do not share Kal-El's short lived love for this world. Submit to me and kneel or suffer the consequences. I felt it...appropriate for the city he adored so much to be laid to waste first."

Silvia swallowed. She knew it couldn't be true... Nothing could kill Superman, right? Not even his own people. She had thought she'd be relieved with his departure, but without him to protect the city she actually dreaded what was going to happen.

The anchor paused then stammered "Th-This just in, we have reports that Zod has arrived at Heroes' Park in central Metropolis and is attempting to deface the Superman statue on site."

Silvia furrowed her brow. She was wondering how big an ego someone needed to want to do something like that...

"The Justice League has been notified and is reacting accordingly."

"Shit." Silvia exhaled.

The next few hours consisted of Silvia looking out of her windows for any sign of...well anything. There was a lot of street wide panic and people trying to flee the city. Silvia knew that was a stupid idea because millions of other people in this gigantic city had similar plans.

It wasn't long before the news stations shut down, obviously evacuating their staff from the city centre. It also became apparent that the panic had become a bit too strong; looting, violence and outright barbarism flooded the streets.

Silvia groaned. "People... Fucking people, man..."

Much like before, Silvia grabbed her suit, a specific loadout, stashed it beneath her trench coat and stormed out of her apartment. On the ground, Southside was a sea of panic. It was insane. There wasn't much Silvia could do to calm people down. She was good at lowering people's heart rate a little too well for that.