48 To Go

A/N: Didn't use the same places of the song, since they start in Colorado in it.

Patrick's POV

The first US tour of Fall Out Boy had finally started. It wasn't that big of a tour, we just had a few dates here and there but we decided that we would pass by all 50 states. We would start the tour in Chicago, where our first date was then end it in California. Then we would go back to Chicago, passing by all the other states we missed. And all of that in a shitty van during the hot summer of 2003.

About literally two hours in the tour and we were already having difficulties. It was about 4pm, we've been on the road for two hours already and we were already lost in the middle of Illinois, close to Iowa.

I stood on the side of the road as Pete was looking at a map placed on the hood of the van, Joe standing besides him, looking in the distance to see if cars were driving down this road, but no.

"We're never going to see the west coast." Joe blurted out as he turned back to us, a dissapointed look on his face.

"Come on, we'll make it." Pete tried to reassured him, not looking up from the map.

I sighed and turned back to look at the landscape.

We started driving again. We drove for hours and the heat in the van was almost unbearable. We rolled down the only windows we could open to bring as much fresh air in the vehicle as possible. I took off my cap and leaned closer to the window, the wind blowing my hair back.

We passed a few towns, taking a break from the road at some of them. Dark coulds were forming in the sky and it was getting late. We decided to stop at Des Moines for the night, parking our van in front of a motel and getting one room for all four of us.

I got out of the van, exhausted and sweaty from the day. I would have killed to just take a shower of cold water. I walked to the back of the van to take my bag and felt a drop of water on my shoulder. I looked up at the sky, the clouds now darker than before.

Then it started pouring rain. I grinned at the guys, that were gathering their stuff to go in the room before getting all wet, as an idea crossed my mind. I laid down on the ground to feel the rain fall. The guys all looked at me with the same confused look on their faces. But soon enough they let go of their stuff and laid besides me.

"Where will we be in half a century?" I spoke up after a few minutes, bringing my bandmate's attention to me.

Pete hummed under his breath, "I don't know. Maybe still on the road. In a real bus this time?"

"You really think we'll still be making music when we'll be like, seventy?" Joe replied.

"Well, not in fifty years then. But I hope we'll still be doing this in twenty, thirty years."

"I hope so." I said under my breath.

We got back in the room when it stopped raining, about half an hour later and just passed out.

I woke up hours later by someone shaking me awake, or actually, by someone shaking the person snuggled to me, Joe, awake. I quickly got out of bed, pushing Joe away from me.

"We have to leave now or we'll be late for our show in South Dakota tonight." Pete hurried us.

I looked at my watch, it was 10am. Our show was in eight hours and it'd take us about seven hours to go to the small venue where the show was taking place.

After being on the road for severals hours, we drove by a big sign saying, "Welcome to South Dakota".

"Two down, and forty-eight to go!" Pete exclaimed from behind the wheel. The guys in the back cheered as I just looked at the window, a smile spread across my face.