Say You Won't Let Go

Patrick sat on the chair next to the bed in this completely white room. His hands clasped together on his lap, he was staring at the person lying unconscious in the bed in front of him. You. His best friend. He stood up and brought the chair closer to the hospital bed and sat again. He grabbed your hand and rubbed your knuckles with his thumb.

A single tear rolled down his cheek as he remembered the night you two met

"Hey dude!" Pete shouted at his friend over the loud music, "I'm glad you came," He put his hand on Patrick's shoulder and leaned closer to his ear, "Go get something to drink, and have some fun," He pulled away and looked at his friend with a smile, "Okay?"

"Yeah, I'll try," Patrick shouted back and walked toward the bar, he leaned against the counter and called the bartender, "One beer please,"

The bartender nodded at him and left his sight to get the drink.

Patrick turned his head to the left, looking at the people to see if he recognized anyone, then turned his head to the right and saw you walking toward the bar. He quickly looked back in front of him as soon as he saw you. 

You leaned against the counter next to him and waited for the bartender to come take your order.

The bartender arrived soon after and put Patrick's drink just in front of him. You looked at him and smiled. You could barely see him in the dark but you thought he was really cute. The way his plump lips were pressed against the glass as he drank a gulp of the cold beverage...it was hot to be honest.

"Miss?" The bartender said, bringing you back from the daze you've fallen into as you stared at the cute chubby guy standing next to you, "What can I get you?"

"Hum, the same as him," You motioned to Patrick.

Patrick looked at you as he heard you and smiled. He fought with himself in his head and finally spoke up, "I'm Patrick by the way."

"Oh you heard me?" You blushed.

"Yeah I did actually," He blushed as well. 

That night, when Patrick was with you, it felt so right for him. It was like, for once, he was enough and didn't need to impress the girl. 

You two kept talking, and drinking, and dancing the all night. Until Patrick decided you two had too much fun for the night. He called a taxi and once at his house, he led you inside. Patrick told you to lay down and rest and after a few minutes of whining and arguing, you gave in. You laid down on his bed, after he told you he was going to sleep on the couch, but you quickly stood up and ran to the bathrrom he showed you minutes before.

He held your hair back when you were throwing up. Then you smiled over your shoulder. Patrick stared at you and for a minute he was stone-cold sober. He pulled you closer to his chest and rubbed your back.

"Can I stay over?" You asked groggily.

Patrick chuckled, "I already told you. I think you should get some rest."

"Do you remember that night?" Patrick told you, though he was talking to himself, "I knew I loved you then," His grip on your hand tightened, "But you'd never know, 'cause I played it cool," He chuckled sadly, "I was scared that if I tried to be like, more obvious about my feelings for you, you'll just leave. And I didn't want to let you go," He glanced up to take a look at your face, "I knew I needed you, but I never showed it. And I hate myself for that. For not saying it sooner."

"Because now," He started again, his voice cracking up, "You'll probably never hear me say that I love you. And not just like my best friend but like," He bit his lower lip as a tear escaped his eye, "Like someone I want to spend the rest of my life with."

"I'd do anything for you. Like you always did for me," He brought your hand closer to his lips and kissed it, "And I need you right now. Just please don't let go."

He stopped for a moment and looked at you. He smiled, "I wanna dance with you right now. And you look as beautiful as ever," He smiled again, this time more sadly, "You make me feel this way somehow. I'm so in love with you, I hope you know. But I just want you to wake up so I can finally tell you that in person. So don't let go, okay? I swear that every day you'll get better."

"Just," He murmured,  "Just say you won't let go."