Chapter 2

"ASH HURRY, YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE!"

As soon as Ash heard those words one thought came to mind, MOM. He immediately ran to his pokeballs and grabbed Charizard's and all his water types, then ran to the exit. As he got outside he released his strongest Pokemon. Charizard looked at Ash upon his release and saw the urgency in his eyes, he immediately lowered to the ground so his trainer could climb on.

"Ash, wait", Professor Oak yelled.

But Ash didn't listen as he commanded Charizard to take off. They flew to Ash's house at break neck speed, Pikachu was barely able to hold on to Ash's shoulder. The wind was still blowing strong, but that didn't seem to be affecting Charizard a bit. But there was one concern that Ash thought of.

"Charizard fly as close to the ground as you can to help avoid lightning strikes, at least if we do get hit at least it will be a short fall," Ash instructed.

Charizard grunted and nodded in response as he dropped altitude, keeping about one foot above the ground.

They arrived quickly. When Ash saw his house in flames he was immediately hit with a wave of terror for his mother's life. To him it seemed as if the gates of hell had opened up under his home as the first floor of the house was fully engulfed in flames and the second was appearing to only be starting to burn.

As Charizard landed, Ash jumped off and released his water types. They appeared in front facing him, as soon as Totodile saw him he shot him with a water gun. Ash was about to get mad, but there wasn't time for that now.

While pointing to his burning house Ash said, "guys my house is on fire and my mother is still inside."

They all quickly turned and looked in horror.

"I need you all to use water gun to try and put out the fire," Ash ordered.

They all nodded, even totodile lost his playful expression and gave a determined look and started using water gun on the flames. Ash could hear the sound of the fire trucks coming in the distance, however time was of the essence. He had to get his mother out of there and Ash knew what he had to do.

"Totodile soak me with water gun," said Ash.

Totodile hesitated only for a second, but knew his trainer must have given the order with good reason, so he followed it. Ash now dripping wet looked at the front door which was also on fire,

"Charizard rip the frontdoor off," Ash yelled.

Charizard complied, and as he was throwing it to the side he saw Ash running into the burning house. As Ash ran in he felt as if something just barely missed him from behind. He knew it was Charizard most likely trying to grab him to keep him out of the fire.

As he cleared the doorway part of the ceiling collapsed blocking the door as an exit back out. Ash called out for his mother, but no answer. He was running into rooms searching for her, and was starting to think she wasn't actually home. Then he saw her laying face down on the stairs. He rushed to her and started to drag her down, but he soon realized he wasn't going to be able to get them both out.

"CHARIZARD", he yelled at the top of his lungs.

Charizard heard the call for him and burst through a wall, seeing them both he picked them up and carried them out using his wings to shield them from the flames and falling debris.

As they emerged from the house Ash could see Gary's Blastoise and Tracy's Marill helping put out the fire, as well as the Pallet fire department. As Charizard put Ash and his mother down the paramedics rushed to them.

"I'm fine.. cough cough..my mother needs you more" Ash told the paramedic.

"Very well, but from your cough it sounds like you inhaled quite a bit of smoke so put this over your face and take deep breaths," instructed the paramedic.

With that said the paramedic gave Ash an oxygen tank with a mask. Ash did what he was told as he watched them work. The paramedics immediately began to perform CPR on his mother, the sight of which brought tears to Ash's eye's. They continued for several minutes before they stopped, and pronounced her dead.

The whole world froze when Ash heard those words. Tears pouring from his eyes as he dropped the oxygen tank and rushed to his mother, pushing the paramedics aside as he did so.

"NO MOM NO, DON'T LEAVE ME," Ash screamed as the tears kept coming.

Gary and Tracy couldn't bare the site of the friend like this as they looked down with tears coming from their eyes as well. Ash's pokemon also heard this and stopped there water guns and looked at there trainer with a look of shock and sadness as they all began to cry as well, feeling Ash's pain from the loss.

They had all met her and thought she was one of the kindest people they had ever met. It just felt like a knife was jabbed in their heart for them as well.

Gary came up to Ash knelt down and put a hand on Ash's shoulder, "I'm so sorry Ash."

One week later Ash, Gary, Tracy, and Professor Oak were carrying Delia's casket to her grave plot. The whole town was there, the thing about small towns is that they all knew each other. So everyone knew Delia and Ash, and they all knew how much this was hurting Ash.
Even all of Ash's former traveling companions were there. Even their parents, who all became close friends with Delia.

The funeral was nice and after they all went to professor Oak's and reminisced about Delia. Ash barely ate and hadn't spoken much since her death. He mostly just sat with his pokemon as they tried to console him. All his friends tried to talk to him, but with no luck. All of them including their families told him that they were there for him, and if he needed anything to just ask, to which he just replied with a nod.

It hurt them all to see their normally energetic happy go lucky friend so broken, but they couldn't blame him knowing this kind of loss could break anyone. The only question they all had that nobody could answer was, what will happen to Ash now? They never heard Ash ever mention any other family so they believed he had none, and he didn't.

However little did they know, elsewhere in the Kanto region there was a home for him, one that some of them had seen before, even Ash, but didn't know it was.

Inside the Cameron Palace in Rota, Queen
Ilene had just received word of the tragic death.

"Poor Ash. Jenny, please notify the head of the palace guards to make travel arrangements for me, I'm going to Pallet town. I want to be there by the end of the week," Queen Ilene commanded.

"Yes my lady," Jenny replied, then left to make the necessary arrangements.

The queen looked out a window, "It's time for an old debt to be repaid."