twenty four: the letter

Shayra

I was suddenly woken up by my phone that started ringing.

"Hello?" I picked up without seeing who it was.

"How late are you going to sleep, don't you have work?" Mom said.

"Ma! its like 6 am here, you called too early" I grumbled.

"Oh, my bad" She said.

"I just called you to go and visit your Aunt Nina at her orphanage and check on her" She said.

"Oh okay" I said.

"How Dad?" I asked.

"He's fine, maybe you can skype us when you are back home from work" She said.

"Yes I will, take care" I said and hung up.

I yawned and stretch, only to realize my body was aching from fatigue. I shouldn't have stayed awake for so long last night drafting that damn letter.

My eyes still felt sore from all the crying and incomplete sleep. And now I'm going to have to go meet Aunt Nina before going to 'work'

What happened yesterday still felt so unbelievable. I had drawn many conclusions of him not telling me anything but I never thought it would be something like this. And he says there's more to it.

As much as I want to get to know it and think twice about the decision I took last night, I'm not going to. This is the best for both of us.

I got up and did my daily routine and dressed up in a simple white crop top and high waisted jeans. It felt weird now, to see myself in casuals and not formals anymore.

I combed my hair and did put too much make up or wear lacy, tight under garments or high heels. I had no one to impress.

I tied the laces of my red Converse before grabbing my back and then folded the printed letter and sealed it in envelop before putting it inside my bag and leaving the house.

I sat inside my brand new Jaguar that I brought last month and let out a long sigh before driving to the orphanage.

I picked up some flowers for Aunt Nina and some chocolates on the way too instead I happen to bump into some kids.

I parked my car in the parking area and walked inside the building, passing the kids that were playing in the playground.

Aunt Nina's husband, Mr. Banks, is a renounced Doctor in New York and she could never have kids so she started this orphanage years ago and provides all the kids with utmost care. She herself stays here the whole day and goes home at night.

I walked to the reception.

"Uh, I'm Mrs. Banks' niece, I'd like to meet her" I said.

"Oh, hello, just give me a second, I'll call her" She said and called her over the intercom.

"She has asked you to wait in the garden, she'll be there in a minute" She smiled.

"Okay, thank you" I said and walked out and sat on a bench in the garden and watched all the little ones play.

Its funny how people have kids and don't want them and then here I am, desperately wanting to have a family but have no guarantee if I ever will.

"Shayra!" Aunt Nina came and I stood up and hugged her.

"Hey! How are you?" I asked we sat down again.

"I'm great sweetie, how are you doing?" She said.

"I'm fine too" I said and faked a smile.

"Here, I got your favorite flowers for you" I said and handed her the lilies.