fourty two: sick

Justin

"Mare, its time for school honey" I said after I entered her room but she did not wake up like she usually does.

"Marilyn?" I said and walked to her bed and sat down on the edge.

I lifted my hand and ran my fingers through her hair when I felt her skin burning and I touched her forehead for assurance.

"Oh my god" I mumbled as I felt her high temperature.

I walked out of the room and searched for Lily in the kitchen.

"Hey, don't make Mare's lunch box, she has fever, he skin is burning, can you get me the thermometer?" I asked.

"Oh god, okay" She said and rushed to get it while I went back to Mare's room.

"Mare, baby wake up" I said softly and he eyes opened into small slits.

"Am I late?" She asked in a raspy voice and I shook my head.

"You're not going to school today, you have fever" I said.

Her eyes were red at the edges and watery, god know how she got it.

Lily got the thermometer and I checked her temperature. 104 degree Fahrenheit.

"Its too high, should we call the doctor?" I asked Lily.

"I will call the doctors, you have to go to work" She said and I nodded.

"No daddy, please stay" Marilyn said.

"I wish I could princess but I promise I'll come home early okay? And just call me if you need anything" I said and she pouted and nodded.

"Call me after the doctor checks her" I said to Lily and started dressing up for work.

*****

"So in my opinion, we should go for Victorian designs" Shayra said as she moved on to the next slide of her presentation.

"We can have the exterior off white and interior, we can keep a rose gold theme-

My phone rang and Shayra stopped talking. I was about to decline it but it was Lily's name on the caller ID.

"Sorry, I gotta take this one" I look apologetically at Shayra and she nodded.

I walked outside the conference room and answered the call.

"Hey..." I picked up.

"Am I disturbing you?" She asked.

"Um kinda, but what's the matter?" I asked.

"Well, like I said, the doctor gave Marilyn some medicines but she's not taking them, she just refuses to take them. I've been trying for an hour now" She said.

"What? Why?" I asked.

"I don't know Jay, when are you coming back?" She asked.

"I'm in a meeting right now but I'll leave after this" I said.

"Okay, come home soon" She said and hung up.

I sighed and went back in the conference room and resumed the meeting.

After the meeting was over, everyone went to their places and I went into Shayra's cabin.

I forgot to knock this time and walked in on her while she was taking her blazer off.

"Oh, hey" She said whens he saw me and hung her blazer on the back of the chair.

"I'm sorry I forgot to knock" I said.