thirty eight: ghosts from the past

Justin

"So, how was your day Mare?" I asked after I plopped down next to her while she was drawing something.

"It was great, I had a lot of fun at school" She said with a smile making me smile too as I stroked her hair.

"Ugh, my stomach is grumbling" I groaned as I heard my stomach make noises.

There was too much work today so Shayra had to stay overtime and so the dinner's late too.

"I should go help mommy, she must be tired" Marilyn said and I nodded, smiling at how understanding she was.

"No need honey" Shayra came with a big tray in her hands and placed it on the coffee table.

"It was too late so I just quickly made pizzas for us" She said and me and Marilyn hurried took a slice in our plates and started eating.

"Mmhmm, this is sooo good!" I almost moaned.

I was in the middle of eating my third slice when my phone started ringing.

'Mom' the caller ID read and I furrowed my eyebrows. Why would she call so late?

"Hey mom" I answered.

"Hey Justin" She said and I quickly noticed how her voice sounded so tensed.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.

"I...I don't know how to explain this to you Justin" She said and I got even more confused.

Shayra was looking at me as I spoke while Marilyn was busy watching the TV.

"I went for grocery shopping today and there I met Lily's mom so I stopped to say hello to her and she got so scared when she saw me that she dropped the packet of chips she was holding so I picked it up and gave it back to her" She said.

"So?"

"She was in a hurry after seeing me, she started fumbling while turning her cart around but by the time she could get away from there....someone....L-LiIy came to help her" She said and my eyes widened.

"Mom, what are you talking, that cannot be, its your mind playing games!" I said quickly.

"I thought the same honey! I was so shocked after seeing and so was she when she saw me and realized why her mom was rushing away from me"She said.

"Mom, Lily's dead! I buried her myself!" I almost yelled.

"I talked to her Justin! She talked back to me, I asked her the same thing, that I thought she was dead and she said she doesn't want to talk about and changed the subject and instead asked me how I was doing" Mom said and my head started spinning.

"But mom this is.....so impossible and unbelievable" I said.

"I know Justin, I still cannot believe it myself. You should come here and see her yourself" She said and I licked my dry lips.

"O-Okay" I said and hung up.

I felt so confused and shocked, I couldn't recognize the feelings inside of me. 

Lily is alive.

But how!? 

"Justin, what's wrong!?" Shayra asked and I blinked multiple times not knowing how to tell her.

"We...We need to leave for Canada, right away" I said.

****

I told Shayra everything once we got onto the flight, she didn't react much, just told me that all this is very shocking. She and Marilyn were fast asleep but I couldn't even close my eyes for a moment.