thirty five: mother's day

Justin

I opened the door with my keys and got in. Shayra didn't show up at work again today but I did not ask her why, I know it already. So I got a bouquet of lilies with me, I know she loves those.

After I entered the living room, I saw her sitting on the couch with her laptop in her lap and she chewed on her fingernails as she read through something.

I cleared my throat to get her attention.

She gasped and quickly shut the screen and looked at me.

"H-Hey Justin" She said, still in shock.

I pretended to seem angry.

"You didn't come to work today either and you aren't telling me the reason either"I said in a stern voice.

"I-I was going to tell you once you're home, I'm sorry, I really am, I promise I'll come tomorrow" She said and I took slow steps towards her until I was right in front of her.

"I know you're mad at me, I should've told yo-

I cut her off by bringing the bouquet in front of her which I was handing behind my back and smiled.

"T-Thank you" She mumbled, sounding quiet confused and I sat down beside her.

"What were you looking at?" I asked pointing at the laptop.

"Nothing" She said and I raised my eyebrow.

"Really nothing, just googled something" She said and looked down at the flowers and played with their petals.

"They're beautiful" She said and I kissed her cheekbone.

"Mhm, like you" I said and she smiled but just a little.

"Shy, is there something you want to tell me?" I asked. and she licked her lips.

"I.....I do, but I don't know how" She said.

"Why?"

"I'm afraid" she mumbled and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Of what?" I asked.

"That you'll hate me if you get to know this" She said.

Oh, so that's the reason, she thinks I will hate her for that.

"In that case, you should know...." I trailed off and pulled out her report from my folder and handed her and her eyes widened.

"I went to your doctor this morning, I found this last night I saw this little note down here, I didn't understand it but I knew you wouldn't tell me, so I went and figured it out myself" I said and she looked down.

"Shayra..." I grabbed her arm and made her look at me and her eyes had already welled up with fat tears.

"Oh baby...." I pulled her in my chest and hugged her tight as I rocked us back and forth.

"Shy, don't cry, I know this isn't the best news but crying doesn't help, does it?" I said and rubbed her back.

"And its not like you can't have a baby at all, its not impossible" I said and she looked up at me.

"The doctor said that there are-

"50 percent chances of the baby surviving and 50 percent of it not right?" I said and she nodded.

"What if the 50 percent chances of it surviving turn out to be the hundred percent, we can always try right?" I said but she not respond.

"But we don't have to think about that right now, you're still young, you got a couple more years to get into that phase" I said and stroked her hair.