Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I really wanted to talk to Jessie about what I had heard last night. It took a lot of self-restraint not to. I didn't even know if Jessie liked Michael back, or if she'd even care if Tesa kissed him. She could like someone else for all I knew.

Tobias was watching me curiously as my eyes shifted from Tesa, to Michael, and back again. He didn't say anything; he just scooted closer to me and laced his fingers through mine. After a while, I finally snapped out of my daze.

"Here's the list of today's fights!" After I yelled that, I stood back so I wouldn't get trampled by the wave of initiates.

Before Tesa went in the arena, she walked up to Michael. "Kiss for good lucked?" she asked with fake sweetness. Before he could respond, she pressed her lips to his. Michael pushed her back so fast that Tesa looked stunned. She whipped her head around and strode in to the arena, while Michael stood there and rubbed off his lips.

Jessie saw the whole thing, but instead of being angry, or upset, she was laughing. It was a quiet laugh, something that you couldn't see coming out of her mouth. I had never even seen the girl smile.

I was busy laughing as well. Michael pushed Tesa back so fast, I'm not even sure their lips touched. I shifted my focus back to the fight. I had no doubt Ryan would win. Last night, in the hallway, I saw him trying to perfect his technique. It was good too. His movements were quick and fluid, going together easily. Tesa, on the other hand, was far from perfect.

At first, they circled each other, but then, Ryan threw a punch, which hit Tesa in the jaw. Her head flung back. Tesa tried to kick Ryan's legs, but he merely backed up, making Tesa miss. Ryan then rushed at her and punched her once in the cheek, then once in the temple. Tesa crumpled. Tobias circled Ryan's name.

I wasn't sure how the fight between Dylan and Jessie would go. All I knew at the moment was that I was really amused. Before the fight, Jessie walked up to Michael. "Kiss for good luck?" she asked. Michael nodded, happiness flooding into his eyes. He cupped her face and kissed her. Tesa had woken up shortly after her fight, so she never had to get dragged to the infirmary. She got to witness the whole thing. I let out a chuckle, which quickly grew into a quiet burst of laughter. I was thoroughly amused. Tobias was grinning from ear to ear. As Jessie walked by Tesa, she flashed her a smile, revealing her bright white grin. Something that I hadn't seen up until now. Tesa frowned and stuck up her middle finger. Jessie just smiled harder.

In the arena, Jessie and Dylan were circling each other, waiting for the other to make the first move. Dylan, who had a pretty big height advantage, stepped up and made a move. He punched her pretty hard in the jaw. It didn't even faze Jessie. Dylan was not expecting that at all. While he stood there, surprised, Jessie kicked him in the stomach. Taking advantage of him being winded, Jessie elbowed Dylan in the neck and kicked his legs out from under only took a few more hits and the fight was over. Jessie's name soon had a circle around it.

Before the next fight started, something odd happened. Michael went up to the board, erased his name, and wrote Mike where his name had previously been. I never thought that would happen, but now that I think about it, it suits him more. He must have been in a growth spurt when he got here, because he was obviously taller, and had obvious muscles. He was leaner and quicker than when he first arrived in Dauntless. His bright brown eyes now shown with a fierce determination I had never seen.

This fight was one of the quickest I have ever seen. Mike was letting nothing stand in his way of winning. Amber never even got a punch in. Mike threw two left hooks and an uppercut to the jaw. Then it was over. I could tell he didn't take much pride in beating Amber. But he wasn't going to let that stop him from being the best he can be. He helped Amber up and led her out of the ring. It was nice to know that he wasn't cruel, like some people in my initiation.

The next fight was the one I had been most anxious to see. It was between the twins. They are so alike it's scary. It's like they can read each other's eyes almost. When they got in the arena, they grinned wildly at each other. As soon as the fight started, Emily backed up. She put as much distance as she could between her and her brother. I didn't understand this approach. It wasn't long before I did.

Jordan rushed at her. Emily rushed at the same time. She, though, went to the side and stuck her arm out, clotheslining him. Emily quickly ran to finish him off, but before she could strike, Jordan's fist flung upward. It hit her is the nose. He then kicked her legs out from under her and finished the fight. Emily woke up quickly and laughed like she wasn't just unconscious a couple seconds ago. "Nice one Jordan!" she said as the two left the arena.

I didn't pay attention to Kyle and Rachel's fight. All I knew is that Rachel was currently kicking Kyle's ass. I was busy watching Tesa. She was glaring at Jessie, who was sitting next to Mike, her new boyfriend. "Mike," Jessie was saying. "I like it." She grabbed his hand and blushed when Mike kissed her on the cheek. That girl was very humble.

The reason I was watching Tesa was because of her body language. She wasn't just upset that Jessie had shown her up twice. She was furious. As soon as the last fight was over, Tesa stormed over to Jessie, drawing back her fist. Jessie dodged the punch easily and pushed Tesa back.

"You don't want to start this," Jessie warned. "I already kicked you ass in a fight. What makes you think I won't do it again?"

Tesa's face went red. This time, she brought the embarrassment upon herself. And she knew it. I couldn't help but laugh.

Before the initiates left for lunch, I made them wait a little while. "Listen up!" I shouted. "After lunch, come straight back here. Instead of the traditional game of capture the flag, we will be doing something a bit different. We will be teaching you a new game." Some of them groaned with disappointment. Some of the older Dauntless members must have mentioned the usual game of capture the flag during the first part of initiation. Others just looked curious.

"Well, aren't you going to tell us what it is?" Tesa asked impatiently.

"Nope," I said stubbornly. "You'll find out after lunch." Then I grabbed Tobias' hand and walked out of the room.