Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Eric is going to try and kill me. I didn't know how, and I only had a brief idea of when. It wouldn't be for a while yet, but he definitely wants it to happen. He wants to cause Tobias as much pain as possible. And killing me right before I was about to have our baby would probably destroy him. Tobias and I will have to be on our guard for a while.

I was excited when I woke up the next morning. I wasn't feeling sick, and today was the first day of the fear simulations. Last night I tried to guess who would be divergent. I definitely thought that Jessie would be. And maybe Mike. I laughed to myself. Another divergent couple. That is exactly what we don't need.

I didn't know for sure though. I would hopefully find out today. I just hope Tesa isn't.

I got dressed and made some coffee for Tobias. I didn't care for it, but Tobias liked it. He got up once I started making it. He had a sixth sense when it came to this stuff. He threw on some clothes and came over by me. He kissed my cheek and grabbed his scalding hot coffee.

"I love you," he whispered. He didn't put milk and sugar in his coffee. He liked it black as night. I thought it was awful.

He drained his cup and together we walked out the door.

*Page Break*

Tobias and I both had electrodes connected to our heads. We both wanted to see the initiate's fears. We wanted to do this by rank, so the first person we called in was Jordan. We explained what was going to happen. The thing I liked about Jordan was that he didn't ask a lot of questions.

When the serum started to take effect, Tobias and I were plunged into Jordan's now fear filled mind.

Jordan was in a meadow. He was on his knees, cradling something in his arms. It was Emily. She was bleeding from a gash in her throat, but she was still alive. A pretty common fear. Watching a loved one die. I knew it would take a while for simulation Emily to die in this simulation. Jordan wasn't calming down. He was crying into her hair, holding her as if it would make her better. It took a good seven minutes for him to calm down and leave the simulation. After he awoke, we let him out. He didn't say a word.

Next up was Jessie. For her, it was fear of commitment. Simulation Mike wanted her to marry him and it scared her. There weren't any signs of divergence right now.

No other simulations showed any divergence yet either. All the fears were common. Except Tesa's. She, of course, was the only one who had to make it difficult. She argued about Four sticking a needle in her neck. She claimed that he was trying to kill her. And that was absurd.

After I saw her fear, I knew why she was so persistent. She was afraid of rejection. If she liked a guy who didn't like her back, she'd flip. If her parents didn't let her do something, she'd scream at them. And the guy in the simulation was Tobias. He rejected her so many times that I think it has scarred her. And to me, this fear was different. It took her a long time to calm herself. She was in there for almost fifteen minutes.

As soon as she came out of the simulation, she looked at Tobias. Her eyes were pleading. Pleading for him to accept her. Pleading for him to like her. But when his eyes returned the stare, they didn't show compassion or understanding. They were cold. Tesa was out of the running before it had even begun. And she just didn't understand that.

*Page Break*

I was a little disappointed at the end of the day. There had been no sign of divergence. But I guess that's a good thing. That means that Eric won't have a reason to try and kill any of them. After the last initiate, which was Tesa, was done, I headed for the infirmary. I wanted to see how Uriah was doing. Tobias tagged along. He knew that I wanted to be there for Uriah, and he liked Uriah. He was his best friends little brother. And he was funny.

"So Tris," Uriah said as we walked into his room. "Find any divergent?" He winked at me. We had trusted each other enough to speak of our own divergence.

"Not yet," I replied, laughing. Tobias didn't seem to find this funny at all. He was also divergent but he took it way more serious. "No one has showed any signs." Uriah nodded at me. "How are you feeling?" I asked him.

"Fine," he answered. "My chest hurts quite a bit, and so does my arm, but who cares? I'm Dauntless. I know how to deal with it."

"How is Marlene?" I questioned, only mildly curious.

"She's fine. She's been hinting at me that she wants what you and Christina are getting." He said. I think he's like Tobias. Not exactly the father type.

"Well, I can't help you there. I didn't exactly want this one." I told him.

"Ah, I see. There has been a little accident." He was laughing. "You are keeping it though, right?"

"Of course we are." Tobias was the one that said this. He sounded pretty defensive. Like Uriah was accusing us of child murder.

It didn't faze Uriah though. he just chuckled and said, "Calm down Four. No need to be like that."

Tobias didn't say anything. An awkward silence started to fill the room. I took this as a sign that we should leave. "Well, we got to go." I said to Uriah.

"Bye,"

Tobias and I walked out of the infirmary.

"I'm sorry," he told me. "I didn't mean to be like that." I just nodded. I didn't care. It didn't bug me at all. All I wanted was to lie down. But Tobias had other plans.

As soon as we got to our apartment, he handed me an envelope.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Just open it."

The envelope was open in a matter of seconds. Inside was a piece of paper. It had one word on it.

Pit

What was at the Pit? I gave Tobias a questioning look but he didn't say anything. He opened the door. Ok, I thought to myself. I guess we're going to the pit.