Chaper 30

Chapter 30

I waited for Jessie to tell me she was kidding, but I could tell by the look in her eyes that she definitely wasn't. People are going to come to Dauntless. They are going to change the way we live. The way we run things. Who are these people? Who do they think they are?

"When?" I asked.

"In three days," she said in a whisper.

Tobias needed to hear this. I ushered Jessie inside and told her to sit on the couch. I went into the bedroom and shook Tobias. "Wake up." I told him.

"Why," he moaned.

"Tobias," I whispered harshly. "Get up. Now."

"Fine," He shook the blankets off and rolled out of bed. "What's so important that I need to be woken up in the middle of the night?"

I didn't answer him. I just walked back out by Jessie. She looked very deep in thought. "Jessie, can you please tell Four what you just told me." I asked her. Jessie took a deep breath.

"Today, the leaders were talking." She began. "I was in the room and I was writing stuff down. But I was also listening to what they were saying. Their voices were filled with distress and some even had hints of fear. They were talking about four people. One from each of the other factions. Apparently all of the other leaders decided that Dauntless needs to be changed. That we need to be different. And now, these people are coming here. In three days."

Tobias did not speak. It was almost like I could see gears turning in his head. It was obvious that his mind was racing a mile a minute. Just like mine. His deep blue eyes met mine. I could tell he was worried. It was written all over his face. "They're going to try and make us less violent." He said. "They're going to try and change our initiation and have them not fight. They are going to try and make us do a different approach. They are going to try and change us. And it won't be good like they think it will."

All three of us sat in silence. None of knew how we were going to handle this. We didn't know if we could. This was big. Correction. This was massive. "We won't let them." I whispered. "We won't let them change us. We can't."

"But how?" asked Jessie.

"We'll figure something out." I assured her. "Why don't you go? I'm sure Mike is getting worried."

Jessie just nodded. She got up, walked over to the door, and left. I was glad that Jessie had informed me of this. Tobias and I needed to form a plan.

"Come on Tris," he said, helping me off the couch. "Let's get some sleep."

"Wait. Aren't we going to talk about this?" I asked.

"We still have time to talk." He told me. "Right now, I just want to go to sleep with my wife." Tobias kissed my forehead. It gave me butterflies whenever he called me his wife. He rarely called me that. It made me feel good though. It made me feel wanted.

When we got back in the bedroom, we crawled under the blankets. He wrapped his arms around me as I nuzzled my head into his shoulder. "I love you." He whispered into my hair.

I would've said 'I love you too,' but I was too far gone.

*Page Break*

When I woke up, I got ready for another day of work at the tattoo parlor. Tobias was already gone, but he did leave me a muffin. He was very thoughtful. Except that I threw it up not even fifteen minutes later. And that made me late for work. Thankfully, Tori is a very understanding person.

Last night's conversation replayed in my mind over and over again. Four people are coming. They are coming to change the way we run things. I tried absentmindedly to formulate a plan, but nothing seemed to come to mind. The Erudite part of my brain wasn't working like it usually did.

I wasn't really paying much attention to the ink I was putting on my customers. I still did a good job, but I wasn't feeling it today. There was too much going on in my head. I guess Tori could tell I was distracted because she told me to go home and rest.

I got back to the apartment and sat down on the couch. All I knew is that we are going to have to prove to this group that Dauntless is completely functional. Even though I t has flaws. Everyone and everything had flaws. People needed to see that. And I thought that each faction decided how they would run things there. Why aren't they attacking the flaws in the other factions as well?

The next time I opened my eyes I was on the bed. Tobias must have brought me in here. I walked to the living room to find Tobias passed out on the couch. I gently shook his arm.

"Wha..." he slurred as he awoke.

"You can sleep in the bed, you know." I told him.

He swung his legs off the couch and rubbed his eyes. "I didn't mean to fall asleep out here. I brought you to bed then came out here to think and then fell asleep."

"Come on," I grabbed his hand, pulled him up, and led him to the bedroom. When we lay down, our lips met. A surge of happiness rushed through me. I often wondered how this amazing guy was mine. He could've had any girl he wanted, but he chose me. He loved me. He chose me.

"I love you." I told him.

"I love you more," he whispered.

"I doubt it," I said, smirking.

"How much do you wanna bet?"

I kissed him again. "Let's bet on something different. Not because I think I'd lose. Just because I think it would be a little harder to do."

Tobias smiled at me. "So what do propose we bet on?"

"I know it's a bit early, but we should make a bet about the baby." I proposed.

"Like about its gender?" Tobias asked.

"Yeah. If it's a girl, you get to name it. If it's a boy, I get to name it." I said.

"Sounds like a deal." He kissed my forehead. "But I'm going to win."

"If you say so."