Chapter 41

Chapter 41

-Tris P.O.V-

It's been two weeks since I got out of the infirmary. There was an investigation on the bomb scare. Jeanine and all of her followers were forced to be factionless. They tried to figure out the motive, but all of the suspects had refused to talk. Meanwhile, I have been taking everything very slow, which is very unlike me. The surgery had left me undeniably weak, and for once, I let other people try to take care of me.

Tobias hardly left my side. If he did, it was to go get food, or take hour long shifts in the control room. He was so afraid that something would happen to me, it was almost a relief when he did leave. He was acting like he was my mother.

Tori was very understanding of my situation. She has allowed me to take a couple weeks off from working at the tattoo parlor so I could rest.

All of my friends came by almost every day, updating me on everything going on in the outside world. Which wasn't very much. Christina and Will found out that their baby is a boy. They plan on naming him Grayson.

Apparently, Uriah and Marlene want to have a baby. I guess Marlene finally convinced him. According to Tobias, they were busy trying the day before I went home. That must've been awkward.

Zeke and Shauna have been fighting. No one will tell me what it's about, but it obviously pretty bad. They're daughter, three-year-old Hannah, has been staying with Uriah and Marlene since they don't want her exposed to all of that.

Today was the first day I would be going out with them. I felt good and I was really itching to get out of this apartment. After breakfast, we were all going to go out to eat in a small restaurant located in the Pit.

Tobias came in, holding a blueberry muffin in each hand. He set them both on the counter and walked over to the couch where I sat.

"Hey," I said, smiling.

He leaned down and kissed me softly. "Are you sure you're ready to do this?"

"I've been ready since I got home Tobias," I told him. I started to get up, groaning at the pain in my knee. Tobias grabbed my uninjured arm and led me over to the counter. Usually I can just limp around, but for some reason, the pain was a bit worse today.

I eased myself onto the stool and started to pick pieces out of the top of my muffin. When I looked up, Tobias was staring at me intently.

"What?" I asked.

"Why do you always eat your muffin like that?" he questioned. "It continues to puzzle me why you don't eat it normally."

I shrugged. "I like to eat the top first. Why is it such a big deal?"

"It's not," Tobias assured me. "I was just wondering."

We ate the rest of our food in silence. While Tobias was throwing away the wrappers, I broke the silence.

"Who's all coming to lunch today?"

"Uh… Christina, Will, Uriah, Marlene, Zeke, Shauna, and possibly Lynn."

"Is Lynn dating anyone?" I asked.

"I don't think so." said Tobias, tilting his head to one side. "Isn't she a lesbian?"

"Maybe," I inquired. "I don't really talk to Lynn. I'm pretty sure she doesn't like me very much. You'd have to ask Marlene or Shauna."

"I guess it doesn't really matter then."

Tobias led me back to couch, making sure I don't put too much pressure on my bad leg. He plopped down next to me and kissed me on the cheek.

"Are you absolutely sure that you're ready for this?" Tobias pressed.

"I'm fine Tobias," I informed him. "As long as I don't put too much weight on my knee or use my bad elbow for anything I'll be alright."

Tobias just sighed. "If you say so." I rolled my eyes and leaned into him, eventually I drifted off against his arm.

-Page Break-

I felt a finger prodding me on the face. My eyes fluttered open to find Tobias looming over me. I gave him a small smile.

"You have an hour to get ready." He informed me. Tobias helped me haul myself to my feet so I could get dressed. Afterwards, we sat at the counter, waiting for the time to trickle by. At one point, we just stared at each other, getting lost in one another. His eyes were so mysterious, so enticing. It made me wonder what he saw when he looked at my eyes.

Tobias was the first to look away. His eye flicked to his watch. "It's time to go."

He grabbed my left hand and led me out of our apartment. The walk was quiet. When we got to the restaurant, everyone except Zeke and Shauna were there.

"Hey guys," I said, smiling.

"Hey. Zeke and Shauna aren't coming." Uriah told us. "They decided that they should stay home and try to work out their issues."

No more was said. All of us entered the restaurant and ask for a table for six. Immediately, we were seated and had menus in our hands.

"So Tris," Christina began. "Are you and Four going to find out the sex of your baby?"

Of course Christina wants to talk babies. I looked at Tobias. "I don't think so."

"Why not?" Christina inquired.

"Because we have a little bet going on." I told her. "If it's a girl, he gets to name it. If it's a boy, I get to name it."

"But can't you find out the gender to fulfill the bet?" That was Will.

"We want it to be a surprise." Tobias said.

"Do you have any names pick out?" Marlene asked.

"It's a bit early for that, don't you think?" I said.

"We already picked out a name," said Christina.

"Can we talk about something else?" I snapped. I don't really enjoy being the center of attention.

I felt my cheeks getting red. Even though I was staring at my menu, I could tell that everyone was looking at me. Only when the waiter came back did everyone stop staring.

Once all of us ordered, Christina tried to pick up the conversation again.

"So, any luck with the baby making?" she asked Marlene. That was an odd way to ask.

"Not yet." Marlene sighed. "It's getting a little exhausting. I wish it could've happened like it did with you guys." She finished, gesturing towards me and Tobias.

Great. Now I'm back to being the center of attention.

"Well," Tobias began. "Considering that we didn't want a child and Tris was in a coma when I found out, I'd say that you wouldn't want it to happen like it did for us."

Now it was extremely awkward.

Marlene struggled to find the right words. "Th-that's not what I meant. I meant that you just… never mind."

I don't think my face could have gotten redder.