Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Uriah? Something happened to Uriah? I racked my brain, trying to think of people who would try to hurt him. It was a short list. Eric, well, Eric hates everyone. And some initiate, she liked him a lot, and refused to believe that he was with Marlene. She thought that he made it up so he didn't have to go on a date with her. At least that's what he told me.

"What happened?" I asked nervously.

"Well, after your little showdown with Al," she started.

"How do you know about that?" I questioned.

"Will told me," Oh yeah. I had completely forgotten that Will was there. "Well, anyways. After your showdown, Al was pissed. He took his anger out on the first person he saw. And that just happened to be an unsuspecting Uriah. Al and Uriah were never really friends so Uriah wouldn't have a reason to think Al disliked him. Al flung him into the wall; Uri hit his head and fell unconscious. Al then beat him up, punching and kicking as hard as he could, which we know is very hard. Will and I found him and somehow managed to pull him off of Uriah. Al disappeared as soon as we turned our backs to him. Uriah is in the infirmary now. The doctor says he's in critical condition. I also heard him say that he had internal bleeding, a few broken ribs, a broken arm, and lung damage from the broken ribs."

I sunk to the floor. Uriah, sweet, cake-loving Uriah, was in critical condition because of me. If only I wouldn't have been so angry. Al wouldn't have been so mad. But I had to use anger. It was the only way I could get him away from me. Why did it have to be Uriah?

"I'm going to see him." Christina said. "Do you and Four want to come?"

I nodded, my gaze fixed on the floor.

"Ok," Christina said, obviously knowing how guilty I felt at the moment. "I'll wait outside. just come out whenever you're ready." She then exited my apartment and slowly closed the door.

"Was that Christina?" asked Tobias, who had just came into the room. I could've sworn that he was in here with me.

I nodded, my head still filled with thoughts of Uriah. I can't imagine how Zeke is feeling right now.

"What's wrong?" asked Tobias.

"After… After Al left," I started. "He… he attacked the first person he saw. That… that person was… that person was Uriah." I finished. Tobias didn't say anything, so I kept talking. "He's hurt pretty bad Tobias," Tears started to well up in my eyes. "And it's all my fault."

Tobias kneeled down next to me. "Tris," he began. "What happened to Uriah is not your fault. You couldn't have known that Al would attack him. None of us could've. Do you want to go see him?"

"Yeah. Christina is actually waiting for us. She wants to visit him too." Tobias grabbed my hand and helped me up. he didn't try and comfort me further; he knew it wouldn't help. He just held my hand and walked out the door with me. Christina, like she promised, was waiting for us. She nodded to Tobias in greeting. No one spoke on the walk to the infirmary.

As soon as we got there, we were welcomed by a shout. A shout of anger. Zeke's shout of anger.

"You!" he screeched, pointing at me. His eyes were full of tears. "this is your fault! You were the one who got Al pissed off! You made him attack my brother!" That's when he pushed me. I was right on front of a mirror when he did. Now it was shattered, all of its pieces either on the floor or embedded in my arms and back. Some of the pieces weren't exactly small. I didn't care though. I knew I deserved it. I knew it was my fault. As Tobias and a couple others held Zeke back so he couldn't get to me, I sunk to the floor. My head pressed against my knees, silent tears falling down my face. I wasn't registering any voices except the ones in my head, calling me a bitch, so I didn't realize that a nurse was trying to get me to stand up. when I did notice her, I just stared at her with a blank expression. Tobias then came over, picked me up and set me on a stool so that the nurse could look at the cuts on my back and arms. I felt the pain as she pulled out the shards of glass, but I didn't show it. The guilt of knowing that Uriah's current condition was my fault was a bit too much. And I had thought my day had already been really stressful.

"Tris?" It was Tobias. "Are you alright?"

I didn't answer. Instead, I got up and looked for Uriah's room. I could hear Tobias' footsteps following from behind me. The first room I looked in wasn't his. It was empty. The second room, though, was Uriah's. I gasped when I saw his face. What Christina had told me had been a complete understatement. His whole face was black and blue, his arm, though in a cast, still didn't look right, and he was connected to several machines.

My gasp awoke him. He looked at me, and I was surprised that there wasn't hatred in his eyes. Or maybe he didn't know who I was. Either that or he hadn't been awake earlier.

"Tris?" he croaked. "What happened?"

I walked to the side of his bed. My breath was very shaky. In a voice that didn't quite sound like my own, I explained what had happened to him. I started with the fight between Al and I. Then how Al, who was furious, beat him up to release his anger, and that it was my fault he was here. "I'm so sorry Uriah," I whispered. His eyes hadn't left my face the whole time I was talking.

Instead of being angry, like I had thought he would be, his expression was full of relief.

"Well," he said roughly. "I'm glad I'm in here because I got beat up. I didn't want to be some reason that made me look like a pansy cake." He smiled at me.

"It's all my fault," I said.

"No," he said reassuringly. "It's not. Al is the one to blame. He was the one who made you angry." He paused, his gaze was on the bandages attached to my arm. "Did Al do that?" he asked.

"No," I said, laughing a bit. "It was Zeke, actually. He, like myself, thinks I'm to blame. He pushed me into a mirror."

"I can't believe he did that," said an astonished Uriah.

"Neither can I," said a new voice. Tobias, who had been silent this whole time, wrapped his arm around me protectively. I turned my head. It was Zeke.

"Tris," he began. "I am so sorry. I didn't mean to push you like that. I-I was just so angry! I wanted someone to-to," he didn't continue. "I didn't know,"

"Know what?" asked Uriah.

"Well, when I got attacked and was in the hospital, we found out some interesting news. Thanks for coming to visit me by the way." I said.

"No problem," answered Uriah. "What did you find out?"

"Well, I'm pregnant," I replied.

Uriah broke into a huge grin. "I'm so happy for you Tris!"

"Thanks," I was blushing for some reason.

All the people from the waiting area came piling into the room. "I'm going to go Uri," I said to him. "Goodnight." He nodded at me. I was really looking forward to getting back to the apartment. My bed seemed to be calling to me. Boy, has it been a long day.