Chapter 37

Chapter 38

I pulled away from my brother. Even though he betrayed my family by transferring to the faction my father despised the most, he helped us. We might actually be able to save Dauntless because of him.

Without bothering to say goodbye, Tobias and I bolted out of the room. It was pretty stupid considering the whole of Erudite was trying to find us. Luckily, there was no one there. Unfortunately, there were people in the next hallway.

"There they are!" one of them exclaimed.

There were three of them. Each one was a smallish but bulky male. Even though it was three on one, I figured that Tobias and I could beat them.

The one who had shouted rushed at us. Wrong decision. Tobias knocked him out quickly by punching him in the head.

The two men then decided it would be better to face us one on one. One went to Tobias, the other came to me. This man was short by guy standards, but he still toward over me because I barely scraped 5'1". He made a grab for me. Before he could wrap his hand around my throat, I kicked him as hard as I could in the shin. The man bellowed with pain and rage. While he was preoccupied, I kicked out his other foot, sending him to the ground. His head hit the ground with a sickening THUMP. I didn't need to hit him anymore.

Tobias was dodging punch after punch. This guy never gave him time to throw his own. I creeped towards his backside, reached up, and pulled hard on his ears. It wasn't the best strategy, but it distracted him enough so Tobias could finish him off.

As we were running, I noticed that Tobias was smirking.

"What?" I asked him.

"I just think your fight strategy was funny. You beat a man by kicking him in the shin, then tripping him. Then you pulled on another guys ears so the he would be distracted. It was a bit different." He said while laughing.

"Everyone underestimates the power of a short girl's foot. And her capability of pulling on ears." I told him.

"I will never underestimate short girls every again. " Tobias swore.

I laughed with him. I guess it was pretty funny.

By the time we got outside, Tobias and I had rendered six more guys unconscious. The bomb was probably close to the compound so I knew it would take a lot of speeding to get there. I slid in the passenger seat and Tobias shoved the key in the ignition.

"We need more speed!" I shouted at Tobias. Despite the situation, I was exhilarated. Tobias had been right. Fear doesn't shut you down, it wakes you up. The speeding car was basically flying. It was making me feel a bit giddy. I was almost disappointed when we arrived at the compound. I quickly snapped out of it, remembering that lives were on the line. Especially Tobias and I, and that included the baby.

We ran into the compound to find a wave of people trying to leave. Max must have gotten the message through that if you wanted to stay alive then you need to leave.

Tobias and I held hands as we fought our way through the crowd. We almost got disconnected a few times, but in the end, we managed to stay together. It took us awhile to get to the Pit. There would be people lying on the ground with injuries and we needed to help them out. Thankfully there were only a couple of those. Time was running out and we couldn't afford to lose any more time.

By the time we got to the Pit, almost everyone had escaped. And the bomb was already there.

Tobias and I ran up to it and found access to the wires. Caleb had been right. Each color represented a faction.