Chapter 31

Chapter 31

*Day of Arrival*

When I woke up, my thoughts immediately flew to what was happening today. They newcomers weren't coming until late, but I kept wishing that they wouldn't come at all.

Yesterday, I told Tori that I would be taking the day off. I told her I had to work on some things and she seemed to believe me. What I was really doing was something I shouldn't be. I was going to Abnegation. I needed to see my father.

I haven't seen him since the day I left. He doesn't know anything that's happened in my life the past four years. I was going to ask him about this situation. If he agreed, and if he did, why? I needed to know what prompted this. But I also decided that I was going to tell him about the baby.

Since Tobias was still sleeping, I knew that it must be early. I was planning on telling him of my plan when he woke up. I was guessing that he wouldn't approve. That he would try to make me not go. But I wasn't going to let him stop me.

I lay awake for about an hour, just thinking. My plan was pretty simple. I'd hop on a train, jump off in the Abnegation sector, go to my house and find my dad, and then I'd bombard him with questions.

Beside me, Tobias started to stir. His deep blue eyes slowly opened and immediately met mine.

"Good morning," I told him.

"Morning." he muttered.

"I'm going to Abnegation today. To talk to my father."

That woke him up completely. "You're doing what?" he exclaimed.

"I'm going to Abnegation so I can talk to my father." I repeated.

"No you're not!" He was almost yelling. "That's too dangerous!"

I knew he would act this way. "Did you just call Abnegation dangerous?" I asked.

"You know that's not what I meant." He said sternly. His eyes were blazing with anger. "The leaders would kill you if they caught you there! Why do you need to talk to your dad anyway?"

"First off, the Jessie is a leader and she wouldn't kill me." I began.

"Leader-in-training," Tobias corrected.

"Whatever. I won't get killed because I won't get caught. I have to ask my dad about these people." I told him.

"I'm not letting you go." He protested. "It's too dangerous. Especially now." His fingertips grazed my stomach.

"It would be just as dangerous even if I wasn't pregnant!" I exclaimed. "It's not like I'm seven months along!"

"You are not going." Tobias said firmly.

"You can't stop me." I retorted.

"I can try." And with that, he rolled out of bed. He quickly got ready and left. Slamming the door on his way out.

I knew he was going to go to Christina and Will. He was going to get them to babysit me. But I would be gone before they got here. I quickly put on a tight black hoodie and some dark sweatpants. I brushed my teeth and threw on some sneakers.

As I walked out the door, I thought of when the next train would be coming through. It was ten to seven and the trains came by each hour. I quickly walked to the tracks. I could faintly hear the sound of the train barreling down the tracks. As it came closer, I prepared myself to jump. I lifted myself into the train car with ease.

I scooted deeper into the train car, thinking about how I would greet my father. I would deal with that when I actually got there.

The train ride eventually came to a close. I jumped off and landed on both feet. My former house wasn't too far from the train tracks. I kept to the shadows, keeping my head down as I walked passed buildings. Eventually, I reached the familiar street that I used to live on.

As I looked for the right house, I began to grow nervous. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to go about this yet.

My feet stopped right in front of my destination. I walked up to the door, the nervousness growing with every step.

I was about to knock on the door when my hand stopped. C'mon Tris. Don't be such a pansy cake. I forced myself to hit the door. I made two, barely audible knocks. The next three weren't too much louder. The next six were loud enough to actually be heard.

I could hear soft footsteps moving towards me. I could tell that they were my mothers. Relief flooded through me. I was so happy that I would be talking to my mother first.

When she opened the door, a small smile appeared on her face. "Hello Beatrice," she said.

"Hi mom," I said weakly.

"What brings you hear?" she asked.

"I actually came here to talk to dad." I revealed.

"Come in," she ushered.

I walked through the door I used to go through every day. As I sat down at the table, I heard my dad's voice.

"Who was at the door Natalie?" he asked from the next room.

"Can you please come to the kitchen dear." My mother responded.

My father's footsteps came closer. He stopped in the doorway. His eyes burned into mine. To him, I was a traitor.

"Beatrice," That was his greeting. I almost thought he was going to turn around and leave. But he didn't. Instead, he sat down in the chair across from me.

"Hey dad," I managed to get out.

"Why did you come here?" His voice was blunt.

"I came to ask about these people that are supposed to be coming to Dauntless." I said.

"What about them?"

"Why are they coming." I questioned.

He paused before speaking. "Some of us feel that Dauntless is getting too violent. Too out of control. There needs to be a change."

"Are you one of those people?" This, to me, was the most important question.

My father hesitated. "No," he finally said. "I do not think that there needs to be a change."

"Why do the other leaders think that there does." I asked intently.

"They think that the Dauntless might try to overthrow the government." He revealed.

"That's insane," I said. My father merely nodded.

"Is that all?" My father asked as he started to stand.

"Not exactly," I told him. I also stood. "Do you remember Tobias?"

"Marcus Eaton's kid?" My dad seemed puzzled on why he was brought up.

"Yes," I said. "We are... We're married." My father's eyes grew very wide. "And we're expecting."

He almost tripped over his chair. "You and that traitor are married? And... and you're pregnant?"

I nodded slowly.

"I see," he said, trying to keep calm. "Well, I guess you should get going." And with that, he exited the room.

"It was good to see you dear," said my mother. I hadn't even realized she was still in the room. "Congratulations," she whispered.

I nodded in thanks. As I left, a sad smile formed on her face. It killed me to leave her. But I had to.

As I walked back to the tracks, I thought about my new information. It wasn't much, but it was something.

When I pulled myself into the train car, I got startled so bad I almost fell out. In the same car was Tobias. And he looked pissed.