Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Nervousness pooled in my stomach as they wheeled Tris away. I knew she was in good hands, but I am pretty sure I had the right to feel this way. Anyone would.

I knew I wasn't helping anyone by sitting here, thinking about Tris, so I wheeled myself back to my room. I tried not to gasp in pain as I stretched out my side with every push. When I got back into my room, I found a tray of food was waiting for me. Along with Zeke, Christina, Will, and Uriah.

"Hey Four," Zeke greeted with a smile.

"Hey guys," I said back.

"How are you feeling?"

"Sore, and kind of confused." I told them. "Some pieces of what happened are missing."

Uriah chuckled a little. "We can't help you there. Only you and Tris know what went down."

"Speaking of Tris," That was Christina. "Where is her room?"

"You can't see her." I informed them.

"Why?" They asked simultaneously.

"They just took her into surgery." I grabbed the food tray and picked at my cup of fruit.

The four of them just nodded. They must have realized that I was worried and didn't want to talk about it.

"She'll be okay Four," Zeke assured me. "The doctors know what they're doing."

"I hope so." I muttered, mainly to myself.

-Page Break-

It's been two hours since Tris first went into surgery. It felt like two days. Zeke and the others left about an hour ago because they all had to work or something like that. The doctor had told me that the surgery would be done in about three hours. That meant I only had one more day to go. Great.

I didn't know what to do with myself. The infirmary had no source of entertainment whatsoever.

The boot around my foot was irritating me. I desperately wanted to take it off, but I knew better. One more week. That's how long I had to wear it. The injury was minor so I didn't have to wear it for so long.

I swung my legs off my bed. Gingerly, I set my injured foot on the floor, testing to see how much weight it could hold. It didn't take much for a deep ache to form. I gritted my teeth and ignored, determined to push myself beyond my comfort one.

At one point, I stood up and tried to put all my weight on it. Horrible idea. As soon as my uninjured foot left the ground, I buckled from the pain and sat back down. Eventually, I just lay back and closed my eyes, hoping that when I opened them, I would be able to see Tris.

-Page Break-

I awoke to someone prodding my shoulder. It was Doctor Hart.

"Your wife is back from surgery if you want to go see her." He informed me. "But, she is still unconscious, but she should wake up soon."

I immediately got myself into the wheelchair. This time, I felt now sharp pain in my side and I pushed myself to Tris' room. I situated myself so I was side by side with Tris. I gripped her small hand and waited. Tris didn't keep me waiting long.

Tentatively, one of her eyelids crept open. When both were open and aware, she locked her gaze on me.

"Tobias?" she croaked. She looked confused. "Why do you have so many eyes?"

I found myself laughing, a rare thing that is still pretty alien to me. "How are you feeling?" I asked while stroking her cheek.

"I am so tired." She told me. "And I can't feel my arm. Or my knee." She touched her right elbow, as if making sure it was still there.

"Don't worry," I assured her. "That's only temporary."

"Good," she said whilst frowning. "Because I don't like it."

I smiled at her. She frowned again and started poking my face. "What are you doing?" I asked her while chuckling.

"I am trying to get rid of your extra eyeballs. They're making me uncomfortable." She said.

I grabbed her wrist mid-poke and leaned in to kiss her.

"Tobias!" she whined after I pulled away. "I was just about to get the last one!"

"Sorry." I told her. "You can get rid of it now." I put my face closer for her. Her index finger jabbed the middle of my cheek. "Better?" I asked.

"Very."

I kissed her again, hoping that it would help clear some of the fog from her head. Her left hand slid to the back of my neck, pulling me closer. Our kiss lasted a long time, and for that, I was grateful. This time, no doctors or nurses barged in.

When Tris finally pulled away, she asked, "When do we get to go home."

"The doctor told me I could go home today, but you have to wait until tomorrow." I informed her.

"Why?" she pouted.

"Because you just had surgery. They need to make sure everything went alright."

"Will you come and see me before you leave?" she asked.

"Maybe."

She playfully slapped my arm, laughing while she did it. Tris knew I would come and see her. I would've even if she hadn't asked.

Doctor Hart's head poked into the room. "Do you want to sign the discharge papers now?" he asked me.

I nodded, slipping Tris one last kiss before I left the room.

While Doctor Hart got the papers, I went back to my room to change. I definitely wasn't leaving in this flimsy hospital gown. After I got my clothes on, I tried to walk around a bit. As long as I didn't stay on my injured foot for too long, I was alright. I hated showing weakness, but I couldn't help it at the moment.

After I signed the papers, I slipped into to Tris' room. I kissed her goodbye and told her I would come and see her tomorrow. I would've stayed longer, but it was after seven and I needed to talk to our friends. They've been dying to see Tris.

I limped around the compound in search of anyone I knew. Ten minutes of walking around, and still nobody, so I decided to try various apartments. I was closest to Christina and Will, so I headed there first.

I knocked on the door and heard a distant, "Coming!"

The door opened to a sweaty, panting Will. His shirt was buttoned wrong and he was in his boxers. I knew immediately I interrupted something.

"What is it Four?" an impatient Will asked.

"Um..." I began, feeling a bit awkward. "I just want you to know that Tris is done with surgery and is awake if you want to see her."

"Thanks."

"I'll let you get back to Christina." And with that, I walked away.

Next was Uriah.

"Hey Four," He greeted. I could see Marlene behind him, a blanket wrapped around her. What is this? Sex day?

"Tris is awake if you want to see her." I told him.

"Thanks man," Uriah said, closing the door immediately after.

I decided to not go and find anyone else. I had already interrupted two couples that were busy. I didn't want to interrupt anymore.