Chapter 39

Chapter 39

*Recap*

Tobias grabbed my hand and we ran. Hopefully we had enough time to get some distance between ourselves and Jason. Our luck had run out though. We had only been running for about five seconds when Jason exploded.

The force of the explosion sent Tobias and I flying. I put my arms around my stomach in a desperate attempt to protect my baby. My elbow hit the ground first and I felt it shatter. I gasped from the intense pain. Then my head caught up with the rest of body and hit the ground. All was black.

*End of Recap*

The pounding in my head was relentless. The nonstop throbs also brought intense pain. But it was nowhere near as bad as the pain in my right elbow. I couldn't bring myself to move it. Just like my eyes. I couldn't get them open. My eyelids felt like deadweights. No matter how much force I put into it, they wouldn't open. And all the trying was just making me tired. I allowed my struggles to end. At least for now. I would try again. But for now, I needed rest…

*Page Break*

In one instant, it was like the weights were lifted from my eyes. I snapped them opened to find that I was in my second home. The infirmary.

As I struggled to get into a sitting position, a nurse rushed over and eased me back down.

She was short and had light brown hair. Her eyes were an odd green color.

"You need to lie down," she said. Her speech was a bit mumbled, like I wasn't hearing her whole voice.

"Fo-ur," I croaked out. As soon as I tried to speak, my throat burned like someone had lit a fire in there.

"Don't speak," the nurse ordered. "You swallowed quite a bit of ash during the explosion. You probably won't be able to speak for a day or two." She handed me a white board and a dry erase marker. "Here. Write on this."

I took the board and tried to position the marker comfortably in my left hand. My writing probably wouldn't be very legible.

Where is my husband?

"Your husband is fine. He is in a less-monitored room. The injuries he sustained aren't as bad as yours. He is awake. And he wants to come see you."

I gave a cracked sigh of relief. Tobias is ok. I still have him.

What are his injuries?

"His left ankle has been fractured and he has a minor concussion. There was ash consumption as well. He also got a pretty bad cut across his side and needed about 25 stitches. He managed to get further away from the blast than you did."

Really? I don't remember Tobias being that far ahead of me. Then again, I hardly remember anything about the explosion. All I did remember was that it was Jason's fault.

What are my injuries?

"Well, you already know about your throat. You have a large tear in your left ear drum. That's why my voice probably sounds muddled. We were planning on repairing it after you woke up. You have a major concussion, but luckily, there was no cranial bleeding. The ACL in your right knee was torn and we will be fixing that too. And your right elbow has been broken in several different places and you will need surgery to repair that as well."

Wow. I really am prone to injury. Tobias has a cut and a fractured ankle and I'm expecting three surgeries. I'm lucky my brain didn't start bleeding! How far in front of me was he? Did he really get that much further ahead and escape serious injury?

Are you doing the surgeries separately?

"Probably not. We will most likely be doing them all at once. The anesthetic is powerful and will be able to keep you under long enough to finish all three." The nurse explained.