Chapter 47

Chapter 47

-Tobias P.O.V-

I had to resist the urge to grab Tris' arm as she walked past me. I knew that if I laid a finger on her, she would never trust me again. Well, she would never trust me again anyways if I don't convince her that I haven't cheated.

"I don't think that Tris believes you." My head whipped in the direction of that God-awful voice. Bella's face was twisted in a menacing smile. Fury rushed through me and I almost punched her right then and there. If only she wasn't a girl.

My voice was low and deadly. "You and both know that I have never even considered having an affair with you, bitch."

Bella laughed. "According to this piece of paper you did." She stepped closer. "Now you can just stop being an idiot and come back to Candor with me. But if you don't want to, I'm perfectly fine with staying here. I'm sure that your leaders wouldn't want to turn away their prodigies future children."

I began to back away. "They only future children I'll be having will be with Tris." Everyone was still staring. Who knew what they believed. Who knew what they would do. "And a jealous whore like you is not going to take that away from me."

Sawyer didn't look worried, and that bothered me. "I guess we'll just see about that."

I turned away, not being able to look at the smug look on her face anymore. There was one place and one person that I could go to prove my innocence.

Since I was basically sprinting, I made it to the infirmary in record time. I walked up to the front desk and demanded to speak with Doctor Hart.

The nurse responded without looking up from her computer. "Doctor Hart isn't here."

"What do you mean he isn't here?" I nearly shouted. How could he not be here?

"He left for Erudite about an hour ago. They are discussing new medicines and treatment options. He'll be back in about two weeks."

I smacked my hand down onto the desk. Two weeks? What was I supposed to do for two weeks?

"Sir, if you can't calm down, then I'm going to have to ask you to leave." The nurse said sternly.

I muttered an apology and left anyways. Going back to the apartment was pointless. I had a key, but Tris wouldn't talk to, or even look at me even if I did go there. And the locks could be changed by tomorrow. I was going to have to find a different approach.

As I walked, desperate for an idea, a reoccurring thought kept appearing in my head. How could Tris not trust me? I know Bella had brought the supposed paternity test and is actually pregnant, but still. I'm her husband. She's supposed to believe me and trust that I would never hurt her. I actually feel wounded by the fact that she actually thinks that I cheated on her; with the women that she had watched me turn down! This wasn't just something that I could let go.

It was odd that our apartment was so close to Christina and Will's. It was odder still that I was currently heading to Christina and Will's instead of my own. I knocked twice on their door, hoping that Tris wasn't inside.

Christina answered and the moment she saw me, her hand whipped up and slapped me hard across the face. Directly after, she grabbed my arm roughly and yanked me inside of her apartment.

I was prepared to wait out the lecture, for I knew that it would do me no good.

"How could you!" she yelled. "Tris never did anything to deserve this! She gave her heart, her body, to you and you just threw it away! Were you not content with just one girl? You knew she was having your baby and you still went and made more with Sawyer, of all people! I just can't believe that you would break Tris' heart like that! She should have listened to Gwen. I should've seen something! I could have saved her from all of this." Her voice grew softer. She was dying out. Christina and I made eye contact for the first time since I arrived. "And I don't really believe that you did it."

"Oh thank God!" I let out.

I felt the giant knot in my stomach loosen just a little. Christina didn't actually think that I cheated. This was essential. The one person who believed me was one of the most important.

"Christina, I would never do anything like that to Tris." I almost started rambling, but I held myself to that sentence.

"I know that." Christina said. "For once, I know that you are telling the truth. But the problem is that Tris doesn't. I think it's the paper and the fact that she is pregnant. We should go see Doctor Hart."

"I already tried that." I revealed. "He's gone, and won't be back for two weeks."

Christina's face fell. "Who else would know anything?" she questioned.

"Only Bella and whoever got her knocked up. Even he might not know though." I said weakly. "Are you sure you can't convince Tris yourself?"

"Even if I did try, there is still Gwen whispering in her ear. Gwen said from the start that she didn't trust you."

"But you're Tris' best friend. Wouldn't she believe you and your Candor-ness over a girl she's known for a couple months?" I inquired.

"When the situation is right, some people will believe a person they just met over the people they're closest to. Think about it, she's believing Bella over you. All because she has the belly and the paper. If I was her and Will was the accused cheater, I'd probably believe it too. Bella was actually really convincing, even if she is a Candor."

"It just hurts that she doesn't completely trust me."

"She wants to, Four. Tris wants to trust you so bad. But Bella has alleged 'proof.' And as much as Tris doesn't want to believe it, she knows what the signs point to."

I hung my head. Two weeks I would have to wait to try and get proof that I am faithful. Two weeks I would have to be without Tris. "What am I going to do, Christina? Where am I going to go? What if Doctor Hart backs up Bella? Tris is the love of my life. She's carrying my baby. I can't live without her."

"I'll try Four. I'll try as hard as I can to get her to believe me. It will most likely not be enough, but I'll try regardless. Also, it's your apartment too. Go in there and try to convince her yourself as well. When Doctor Hart gets back, we'll talk to him. Bella probably paid him to sign that. Or she forged his signature. But we'll reveal the truth Four." Christina assured me. "I promise. Tris needs you, whether she knows it or not."

"Thanks Christina." I said, and I meant it. There once was a time where I disliked Christina. To me, she was just a Candor smart mouth. But she is so much more than that.

"Go get your wife back." She offered me a weak smile as I left.

I jammed my key into the lock and prepared myself to enter. Honestly, I was terrified. I wasn't sure how Tris would react when I came in. Would she scream and force me out? That seemed unlikely, but then again, she wasn't just normal Tris. She was pregnant, hormonal Tris.

Quietly, I walked into the apartment. As far as I could tell, no one else was in here. Tris was most likely in the bedroom. My hand found the doorknob and I opened it, knowing better than to just walk right in. My wife was under the covers, facing away from me. I decided to go over to her side; I saw that her eyes were closed. It wasn't easy to tell if she was actually asleep, or just pretending. Her face was still red and blotchy from crying, and I felt horrible.

I sat on the edge of the bed and brushed some hair away from her face. Since she didn't flinch at my touch, I figured that she was really sleeping.

My hand found its way to hers and I gripped it tight.

I noticed her eyes slowly opening, widening once she realized I was the one in the bedroom.

There was tightness in my voice as I spoke to her.

"I know you may not want me here right now, but you're going to have to deal with it."

I paused for a little effect.

"Because I am not going anywhere."