Chapter 35

Chapter 35

The next morning I woke up to the first day of morning sickness in a week. "Why does this have to start again?" I groaned. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as it usually was. I got out of the bathroom and began to get ready for today's meeting. It's been a little more than a week and we are going to be discussing our progress. I know that Jason will find something to criticize, along with Bella. I think Elena is just going to go with whatever Jason says. And I hope Gwen will say everything is absolutely fine.

Tobias got up shortly after I did. We both got ready in silence, our only interaction being the occasional brushing of our arms. It wasn't awkward, but comfortable. Soon, we were on our way to the leaders meeting room. As we entered, we realized that Max and Jason were the only two in there. And they were screaming at each other.

"It's not my fault Tanya killed herself!" Jason was yelling.

"How is it not?" Max roared back.

"It's not like I pushed her into the chasm!"

"You just left her! You didn't even tell her you were transferring!"

"I thought it would be better that way!"

"How could it be better that way? You can't just disappear on a girl! They're extremely emotionally unstable."

Beside me, Tobias nodded slightly. So I punched him in the arm.

"How was I supposed to know she'd commit suicide?" Jason exclaimed.

"You saw how in love with you she was! You could've at least told her you were transferring!" Max yelled back.

"Why didn't you stop her?"

"I tried! I comforted her as best as I could! It was hard because the whole time, she cried, and cried, and cried! Over you! It's kinda hard to comfort the girl you've been in love with for years, when she's crying over your best friend! All I did was try to console her!"

"You obviously didn't do it well enough!"

"I tried my best." Max looked defeated, tired. "Tanya was starting to get better. She… she was doing well in initiation. I thought she was going to be alright. She wasn't crying over you anymore. And then, she did it. She killed herself." Max was no longer yelling. Jason's eyes were no longer steaming with anger.

"I didn't think she would ever do something that irrational." Jason said quietly.

"I told you before. Girls can get dangerously emotional." Max said.

I didn't want to interrupt their possible make up session, but everyone else was in the hallway. And they wanted to get started.

"Yeah," I began. "We girls are unstable when it comes to emotion. But if you don't mind, I, along with everyone else, would like to get started." My voice startled both of them. They looked shocked to find Tobias and I standing in front of the door.

"How much did you hear?" the two asked simultaneously.

"Basically all of it," Tobias said.

"Well," Max was scratching the back of his neck. "That's a little embarrassing."

"Just be thankful that we were the only two that heard it. We locked the others outside." I told Max.

He nodded in thanks. "So are you guys good?" asked Tobias. "Because if so, we should get started."

Max and Jason looked at each other. They both muttered something that sounded a lot like sorry.

I turned around and unlocked the door. Gwen entered first, followed by Elena, then Bella. As I suspected, her eyes were filled with venom, but as soon as she looked away from me, a fake happiness replaced it. We all sat down and got right to business.