Part 2

I'm not entirely sure how much time has passed, but as I hear him whisper my name more than once, his hand is now gently squeezing my shoulder. My eyes open, I look up at him, he smiles down at me.

"Did it work?" I'm curious, I feel like I've just had a nap, but I don't have that groggy feel.

The smile remains on his face, "Yes," his eyes scan mine.

"Is that good or bad?"

"It's good," he kisses my forehead.

I sit up, "So, what did you find out?" I'm not hiding anything from him, so I'm not worried, but part of me wants to know what I might have divulged.

He sits up, slowly shakes his head and winks at me. Scooting to the edge, he slips off the bed and heads to the doorway.

"Show me how you make that popcorn," he exits the bedroom. Ah, yes, the change of topic.

I watch him leave, knowing he's not going to share anything I might have said, it bothers me a little, if this is a deeper way to communicate shouldn't he fill me in?

I find him waiting in the kitchen. He watches me prep the kernels and place the pan on the stove.

I let the pan heat, agitate it and repeat, he looks at me, "How long does it take?"

At that moment a kernel pops, his eyes get big and he looks at the pan, his excitement is winsome. It makes me realize just how much of a childhood he didn't get to experience. I feel a twinge of pity, but it passes quickly, as he reaches to lift the lid.

"Prince, you can't.." is all I manage to get out before a popped kernel flies out of the pan and across the kitchen, he slams the lid down, startled, and we both laugh.

Once the popcorn is popped and put into a huge bowl, we make our way to the living room. I leave him to add and mix the Goobers into the popcorn as I set up the DVD. I sit beside him on the couch, he drapes an arm over my shoulder, while he scoops and munches using his other hand.

It's all so normal, and I find it a little ironic that this publicly aloof man is such a cuddle bug, but it's in no way smothering. The more I'm around him, the easier it is for me to mentally take him down from the pedestal I had put him on.

The movie ends, and the evening is still young, he wanders around my place restless, until he goes and gets his guitar from the SUV. Once he's seated with it on his lap, strumming away, and jotting notes, he is serene.

I let him be, as I do menial things around the house. I start by tidying up from making the popcorn, starting the dishwasher, wiping out the sink, while I listen to him play. I always have music on, or earbuds in while I'm doing tedious stuff, but having a living, breathing, musician playing live is so much better.

"Dana?" I hear him call out to me as the guitar stops.

I move around the corner to see what he needs. He motions me over, "I want you to listen to this." I sit in the recliner, across the way from him.

You ready?

Naw, you ain't ready

I mean ready for us

You know you want me like a new pair of shoes

Ooh uh, this could be us

But you be playin'

This could be us

But you keep on foolin' around

You're the cage to my dove