Part 4

We stay at the vineyard entwined on the chaise for a long while, mostly in silence, while we listen to the night's music of the crickets and peepers. It's so peaceful, but as the dampness of the dew sets in, we decide to leave.

It's a quiet ride home, but in no means uncomfortable, I love that we don't have to chatter all the time.

I look over at his profile in the glow of the dash, he's a confident driver, although he likes to speed a little bit. It's nice when we're chauffeured, but it's also nice to be alone. Prince catches me watching him, makes a face and smiles before shaking his head and putting his focus back on the road.

We get back to my place pretty quickly, I'm getting tired, but Prince seems wide awake.

"Would you be upset if I showered and went to sleep?"

He looks at me like I shouldn't have to ask, "No, under two conditions. One, I get to shower with you, and two, no pajamas."

I pretend to think about it, "I think I can agree to that."

After we shower, I slip under the covers. Prince has dressed because he's not ready to sleep, "I'm sorry, I hope you're not bored," I apologize to him.

He kisses my cheek, shaking his head, "Nope, I'll either watch tv, surf the net, read, or," he stops, "will my guitar bother you?"

"Oh, no, I love hearing you play, it won't bother me at all."

He turns off the light and closes the door on the way out, I don't remember a thing after that.

----------

I wake at 9:17 am, not too bad, I ease out of the bed and dress as quietly possible.

It was just shy of 5am when I felt Prince cuddle up next to me, but I have a feeling I'll see him soon, he never sleeps long, especially alone.

I grab my coffee and head to my favorite place, the sun is already warming up nicely, but we really could use some rain. I make a mental note to hook up my sprinkler after I finish my coffee. I sigh, it's been a nice week off, I dread returning to work tonight.

I finish my coffee and start going through the motions of setting up my sprinkler, I feel a presence. Looking up, I see Prince standing on the back porch sipping his tea, he's watching me. I wave, finish placing the sprinkler and turn on the water before making my way to him.

As I step onto the porch, I get my usual peck on the cheek.

"Let me grab another coffee, I'll be right back," I say as I head toward the door.

Returning quickly, he is sitting legs crossed, looking content. He turns as I sit beside him.

"What are your plans today?" he wants to know.

"I go back to work tonight, so not much."

"Work?!" he looks baffled, "Why?"

"Because the week the doctor pulled me out is over," I explain.

He takes a second to ponder this information, opens his mouth, then closes it.

I see his jaw clench, then he takes a deep breath, "I still don't understand why?,"

looking directly at me. "I'm leaving out tomorrow, I believed you were coming with me."

"Tomorrow?" I whisper.

His eyes never leave me, I look out to my garden. My mind is going 100 mph, my place, my job, I just up and walk away?

"I have things I have to take care of, I can't just walk away," I tell him.

"I know that, I can fly you out whenever you need to come back."

The thought of flying back and forth really doesn't appeal to me, I tell him that, he understands.

"Too bad you don't know someone looking for a place," he says.

My eyes get big, "Prince!" I kiss his cheek, "I do know someone. Angel!" My excitement is short lived, I sigh, " I just don't know if she can afford the rent."

"Sugar, what rent? Just utilities and taxes," he reminds me.

"I have a ton of phone calls to make," I pause, standing up, "but only if you were serious about me giving you a garden," I squat down in front of his chair, watching his eyes.

He looks at me like I shouldn't have questioned it, "I'm serious, you should know that by now."

"Okay," I nod, compiling a mental list of phone calls, "but I can't do this all today, maybe by Wednesday," I'm thinking aloud.

"I can postpone a day," he says.

"I hate to make you wait, it going to be super busy, a lot of running..." I'm already tired thinking about it.

"I know how to do 'super busy', it's what I do."

I don't dare say it out loud but I sure hope we both know what we're getting into.