Part 24

I look towards the back door after he leaves. I ponder for a minute just what may be eating at him, he was so relaxed and playful last night. Drawing a blank, I head back inside, passing through the living room to the kitchen, I see no sign of him anywhere.

I'm pouring my second cup of coffee when Prince appears almost out of thin air.

"Can you be ready to go in an hour?" he asks.

I nod. "Sure, less if you need me to be." Curious, I ask, "Where are we going?"

"Paisley. Let me know when you're ready, I'll be in my office," he disappears just as quickly as he had appeared.

An hour is plenty of time, so I munch on some grapes before I finish my coffee.

I return to the bedroom to see a dress laid out on the bed, I stare at it. One, I kind of like it when he does this, it takes the guesswork out of what I should wear. Two, doesn't he think I'm capable of choosing a dress since he's bought them all anyway?

Trying not to let his mood ruin mine, I see the dress is yet another casual one, which means I can keep the makeup and hair simple. It's not too long before I go back downstairs. I tap on his office door, then head to the living area where he'll see me when he exits.

Surprisingly, it's a decent amount of time before I see the door open, he spots me as I stand. Looking me over, he nods, almost like I passed a test. As I move next to him to walk with him, the kiss I usually get on the cheek isn't even that, he never makes contact, it's just the motion, but he does offer, "You look nice."

Then a simple, "Keys," as he holds out his hand.

Handing him the keys from my purse, I start to follow him rather than walk beside, because I feel like he doesn't even know I'm here. Pausing, he sighs, then places his hand on my low back, prodding me to walk next to him. He opens the front door for me when we get to it, always the gentleman.

Once I'm on the front stoop, I don't hesitate, I continue to the car to stand obediently by the passenger door. He arrives, opens it, I sit, the door is closed. I have a whole two seconds to let out an exasperated sigh as he makes his way around the vehicle.

I'm doing all I can to bite my tongue, I want to ask, "What the hell is your problem?!" I stay silent instead, knowing that confrontation will get me no where fast.

Staring out the passenger window, I'm arguing with myself in my mind: he's a Gemini, they can be moody. He's a creative genius who's mind doesn't work like everyone else's, but it doesn't give him the right to treat my like an unwanted puppy.

I feel his hand settle on my knee, a look over to find him eyeing me. I offer a small smile and return my focus to the window. His thumb slides back and forth, then he pats my knee three times before removing his hand.

Paisley comes into view, he pulls through the gate and stops the car in front of the entrance, parking. Before I can form a question, he opens my door.

"You're parking here?"

"It's my building."

He takes my hand as I exit the car, leading me inside. Kirk is standing at the reception desk with the woman I had seen there before. They greet him, but he barely acknowledges them, pulling me along. When they look at me, I respond with a smile, then quickly shrug and shake my head to let them know I don't know what's going on with him.

We enter a kitchen area with little booths almost like a diner, he pauses at one, "Sit."

He leaves me feeling stunned, I take a seat as he strides through a doorway. Seconds later, he exits, he stops only long enough to say, "When you're finished, come meet me in Studio A."

I watch him leave the way we came in, then I hear Ray's voice, "Good morning."

It's cheerful and after this morning, I welcome it. "Good morning," I say, trying to sound upbeat.

Ray sets down a plate of pancakes and a glass of orange juice in front of me, he looks to see that Prince is gone.

"He's in a mood today," he observes.

"Yes, thank you," I roll my eyes.

He laughs, "One thing to remember, when he's like this, it's not you, do not take it personal." He reassures me.

I take a deep breath, blowing it out, "I've been telling myself that all morning."

I hear a booming voice behind me, "Awww, man, Ray!" Marcus strolls up, eyeing my pancakes.

Ray laughs, "I'll fix you a plate, Marcus." Then he looks at me, "Enjoy those, I make the best pancakes," as he hurries off to make more.

Marcus awkwardly folds his large frame into seat across from me, he points, "Eat them while they're hot. Ray ain't kidding when he says he makes the best pancakes."

I start to eat, my eyes get big and I point to my mouth. He's right, these are the most fluffy, delicious pancakes I've ever tasted.

"See?" Marcus laughs, then his face turns serious. "You doing alright?"

"I seem to be, thank you." He nods, I continue, "I mean it, Marcus, what if you weren't with me?"

He nods, his expression shows he may have already thought this same thing. "This wasn't planned, I take it?"

My eyes avert and I shake my head vigorously as I chew.

"I know how hard this is on a woman, planned or not," he shares, his eyes are a bit glassy, "remember, though, it's hard on the man, too. My wife..." he pauses.

My eyes start to fill with tears as he starts again, "I guess you can figure it out, but," he shakes his head, "give yourselves time, that's all I'm saying."

I place my hand on his for just a second, to let him know I feel his pain, he nods, then yells over his shoulder, "Ray, don't make me come in there!"

I have to laugh. Ray, if on cue, comes carrying a plate of steaming pancakes, setting it down in front of Marcus.

"There." Ray says, "I have to deal with Prince when he's in his moods, but I don't have to deal with you," it's all in fun and it feels so good to see these guys cut up with each other, it's like a dysfunctional family.

Ray heads back into the kitchen, as Marcus and I enjoy our meal. I finish, and say to Marcus, " I better go, he's waiting on me. Thank you for the company."

"You're welcome, Ma'am, anytime," as he takes another bite.