Part 16

******Author's warning****** These next couple parts are painful******

The tears finally stop, I emotionally pull myself together, then pull myself up off the kitchen floor. Determined I head back into the foyer and up the stairs.

First stop, my computer, I need to know what home improvement stores I have nearby. A quick search shows there's a Lowe's twenty minutes away in Shakopee.

I grab my phone and dial, two rings, "Hello?"

"Marcus, it's Dana, I need to get some things from Lowe's Home Improvement."

"Yes, Ma'am, I'll be there in a half hour," he disconnects.

That was easy, and he didn't even ask directions, so he must be familiar with the house address.

I pull a nearby notebook over, and grab a pen. I need...I think about the yard, making a face, I laugh, I need a Bobcat! I shake my head, I need to start small.

Lawn and leaf bags - a lot!

Rake

Shovel

Garden gloves

Hand saw

Ratcheting hedge clippers

Bypass Pruners

Stakes

Rope or string

That should get me started. I tear out the page and head through the house to the garage. It occurs to me that some of these items might already be here. Finding a large storage container in the far corner the garage, I open it. I'm able to cross the shovel and the rake off my list, honestly, I was surprised to even see those two items here. Looking at the homes in the area, I'm sure people are brought in to take care of the yards. As I scan the rest of the garage, I see no other lawn care items anywhere. This could be how the back yard got so overgrown.

I run back upstairs to gather my purse and cell phone, and return to the front door just moments before Marcus pulls up in the SUV.

Marcus parks near the front door and exits the vehicle with a confused smile when he sees me. "Are you ready Ma'am?" he eyes my clothing.

"Hello, Marcus!" I'm genuinely glad to see a familiar face, "Yes, I'm ready."

Without any other questions, he opens the door and I climb in. I notice the privacy screen is down as he slips back into the driver's seat, he makes eye contact with me in the mirror, "Just Lowe's, correct?"

I nod and we're off.

Arriving at Lowe's I hop out of the back before he comes around, he frowns at me, "Ma'am," he starts.

"Marcus, we're already drawing attention, I don't want to add to it," I plead, hoping he's not too upset with me. He nods, following me into the store.

Passing through the entrance, I head towards the shopping carts. Marcus clears his throat, he takes hold of a handle, and gives me a look. I counter his look with one of my own, then sigh, nodding. These men are not used to an independent woman, Marcus follows me, pushing the cart.

As we're making our rounds through the store, I'm careful in selecting items by quality and mid-range prices. When I get to the hedge clippers, I'm a bit more undecided, Marcus waits patiently as I scrutinize each one. There is an overly expensive pair that would be perfect, but I can't justify the price.

I sigh, putting it back on the hook, that's when Marcus says, "Ma'am, Prince says whatever you need, get."

I look at him in disbelief, "Really?" A single nod is my answer.

Just then an employee walks by, "Excuse me, Sir?"

"Yes," the employee stops.

"Does Lowe's deliver to Chanhassen?"

I see Marcus's eyes get big as the question comes from my mouth.

"We do, yes," the employee answers.

"Then we need to go back to the Lawn and Garden section," I put the expensive clippers into the basket, I turn and start to walk, leaving both men to catch up to me.

Back in the outdoor area, the employee grabs a clipboard and follows me as I compile an order for delivery. To get me started, I place an order for a pallet of garden soil, a pallet of pea gravel, a pallet of mulch, a case of landscaping fabric and two pallets of retaining wall blocks. I'm not entirely sure about the blocks, but they will pick them up and refund them within 30 days if I change my mind.

Thanking the gentleman, Marcus and I gather some more items before leaving the store, including 6 ornamental trees. The SUV loaded, we head back to the house.

----------

As we are coming up to the house, Marcus slows to a crawl, I see a frown of confusion on his face. Looking over I see a flatbed tow truck in the driveway, a man is unhooking the straps from the tires of my car. No way! Prince had my car hauled here?!

Marcus parks, I throw open the door and rush over to the tow truck driver, I've never been so happy to see my car in my entire life. I'm grinning ear to ear as I approach the driver, "You must be Dana?" he asks, handing me a single key, which I recognize as the valet key.

"Yes, thank you so much!" I watch my car gently rolled off the back of the flatbed onto the driveway, I'm so happy I could cry. Tears form in my eyes, when did I get so sappy? The man hands me a clipboard to sign, acknowledging delivery, he secures his straps and he's on his way.

I turn to Marcus, still standing by the SUV, waiting patiently to unload my purchases, "I'm sorry Marcus, let me go unlatch the gate so we can get that stuff into the back."

There's no way to unlatch the gate from the front, so I hurry up the front steps, through the house and out the back door. Coming around the back, I open the gate to see Marcus has already backed up as close as possible. We quickly unload the trees into the backyard, then he helps me carry the other items just inside the garage.

Just as I'm bending to set down the last of the bags, I feel lightheaded. As I start to stand facing Marcus, I hear him say in a concerned voice, "Ma'am?"

Everything goes dark.