Part 28

The alarm on my phone goes off at 8 o'clock, it surprises me that I actually slept that long. As I stretch and sit up, I don't even pretend to be surprised that I'm alone.

Grabbing the paper the nurse at the hospital gave me, I make my way downstairs. After I pour my coffee, I head to the phone, calling the first number on the list.

A pleasant woman answers and I explain my situation, after a few brief questions, she puts me on hold.

"I don't have any openings today, but I have one tomorrow at 9 o'clock, would that work?"

"Wow, yes, I didn't expect one so soon, tomorrow is great."

"We'll see you then, b-bye."

I'm relieved I have an appointment so quickly, I need to know about getting back on my birth control.

Pouring my second cup of coffee, I head to the back yard. I'm confronted by the looming piles, yikes, what an even bigger mess. I walk the area I was working yesterday, nodding to myself, I see some improvement, although small considering how far I have to go. I could actually think about getting some things planted in this one area in the next day or two.

I hear a vehicle pull up in the drive, I sneak around to the gate, since I'm still in my nightie. I peek through the tiny gap to see Ray's van, yes, hot breakfast. I look down at myself, I can't answer like this, Prince would not be happy.

I remember a throw on the back of an armchair as I make my way inside. I wrap it around me in a makeshift robe, and answer the door.

"Good morning," I'm met with a puzzled expression as Ray eyes the blanket.

"Good morning, I wasn't decent," indicating the throw, "I apologize," laughing in embarrassment.

He chuckles, "That's fine, I really should have called. Prince was pretty adamant that I bring you a breakfast right away since I hadn't seen you since yesterday morning."

Accepting the container from him, "I have been known to feed myself before Prince," I laugh, "but I'll tell you, it's nothing like the food you prepare. Thank you so much for this."

"You're welcome, and thank you," he's already starting down the steps.

I stop him, "Ray?" He hesitates, "Prince eat this morning?"

He shakes his head, "Just a smoothie before he went up to sleep."

I nod, trying to make my smile mask the disappointment. "Thanks, Ray," waving a goodbye to him.

My heart breaks a bit, not because he only had a smoothie before going to bed, but the fact he chose to go to bed there. In Tennessee he drove 30 minutes to a hotel to gather items before driving another 40 minutes to my place because 'he didn't want to be alone'. Now, he can't drive 8-10 minutes to this house, it doesn't seem right.

I start an internal dialogue with myself as I carry my breakfast to the kitchen:

You knew this was how it was going to be, don't pretend you didn't.

Then leave me in Tennessee and visit me if he can't drive 10 minutes 'home.'

You've been on your own for years, it's the same thing, suck it up.

It's not, I've been uprooted and transplanted, like a flower, a new transplant requires a little extra care.

This last argument causes a lightbulb to go on in my head, I need to show him this, some way, somehow, maybe he'll get it.

Plopping myself onto a stool at the counter, I eat my breakfast. I'll have to remember to thank Ray when I see him, since he made a special effort to put mushrooms into my omelette.

I drink a large glass of orange juice before heading back upstairs to change into working clothes. I grab my cell phone, slipping it into my pocket, knowing Angel might be filling me in on her flight plans. I hope she flies out today, I think to myself as I gather my tools from the garage. It's my intention to spend my every minute of free time out here until I get word from her.

I decide to start back at the beginning, completely finishing an area first before moving on, instead of the preliminary clearing I had started yesterday. This goes quicker than I thought it would. I have almost reached the end of the area I had worked yesterday when my phone rings.

I check the time before answering, 11:30, it's Angel, so 12:30 in Tennessee.

"Hey!"

"I should have called you earlier, but I was packing and dropping off Derik at my mom's. I'll be picked up in a half an hour, he's sending a car!"

"Yeah, sounds like Prince. I know why you're coming, but are you excited?"

"Yes," she admits, "Is it wrong I feel that way? I can't remember the last time I went somewhere," she laughs.

"No, I don't think so. Is it wrong I'm going to want your help in this yard when you get here?" I joke.

"I better pack something for that," she laughs, "You know I will."

"Really?! I was just joking, but I'm not turning down help, not with this mess. You better get ready to go," I do some quick math, "You should be here by 2 o'clock our time."

"Cool, I gain an hour, because Marcus said it was about a two hour flight?"

"Yep, I'm assuming you're not flying commercial, right?"

"He said jet." I could hear the confusion in her voice.

"Yeah, good. I'll see you soon then!" Now I'm even more excited.

We say our goodbyes and hang up. I put my phone back into my pocket, get my gloves back on and my phone rings again. Laughing at the timing, I pull a glove off and reach into my pocket, it's Marcus.

"Hey, Marcus!"

"Good morning, Ma'am, how are you feeling?" he sounds chipper.

"Good, thank you, I'm actually working in the back," I look around, "in this mess."

"That's great! I called to ask, am I picking you up to meet Angel at the airport or just picking up Angel?"

"Pick me up to meet her, please," I can't hide the excitement in my voice.

"Sounds great, I'll be there around 1:30, Ma'am."

"Thank you, Sir," I pause, "Marcus, you can call me Dana, you know?" I laugh.

"Habits, Ma'am, Dana." He chuckles.

We say our goodbyes. I set a timer on my phone to stop me in an hour so I can get showered and ready to go, the gloves back on, I get to work.