Part 43

I look at Prince, studying his expression, he has the cat-who-ate-the-canary look on his face, I shake my head, "I don't have enough hours in the day to figure you out, music man."

"What's with the birdbath anyway?" He points, frowning.

I note the change of subject, "It's for the house, which reminds me, I have to get Marcus to put it in my car, I can't lift it."

Prince signals Marcus, as he's shutting off the water, he trots over, "Yes, Sir?"

Prince looks at me, so I guess I ask now, "Could you put that in my car for me?"

"Ma'am, I could, but how are you going to get it out?"

"Crap, um," I start.

"Don't worry about it, I'll follow you to the house when you're ready, just yell," he scoops up the birdbath and sets it into my cargo area like it weighs nothing.

Prince and I look at each other, as Marcus gathers my compost bags and takes them around back. Prince asks, " Are you coming in?"

I look down at myself, "I'm filthy," I wrinkle my nose, shaking my head.

"You haven't eaten since breakfast, it's been almost seven hours," he points to me then to the building. I scowl at him, he raises his brows, face serious, he points to the building again.

I am hungry, so I don't put up anymore of a fight. I go into the building and head for the eating area with Prince following behind me. He stops at the booth, I take a seat, he disappears into the kitchen. A few moments later he appears with a large glass of orange juice, he places it in front of me, then sits across from me.

He still has that plotting look on his face, "You're up to something, I know it," the look on his face confirms it as a fact, but he only tells me to drink my juice.

While Prince is talking about the progress of the new album in the works, Ray comes out a with two steaming plates. "Cheese Tortellini With Spinach, Peas, and Brown Butter," he announces.

My mouth waters as it's set in front of us, "Ray, you're spoiling me," I joke. Ray laughs as he reaches to take my empty juice glass, "Wine?"

"Yes, please," Prince answers for us.

Ray brings two glasses of wine and we start to eat. It's a rare occasion that Prince eats, let alone with me, so I enjoy every moment, it's nice and comfortable.

We finish and he walks me to my car, "The flowerbeds look beautiful, Sugar, thank you."

"You paid for it," I remind him.

"Yes, but you worked hard," he taps my nose with his finger, "don't ever gloss over that." He kisses me, "Goodnight, Sugar."

I pull him back in for a deeper kiss, if he's wishing me goodnight, that means he's not coming home, it's just 4 o'clock. As I break the kiss, I say, "I love you," as I meet his eyes. "Goodnight."

I get into the car and he closes the door, then leans down, I lower my window, "Marcus will be right behind you, don't try to lift that yourself." He waves, stepping back to let me drive off.

I'm halfway home before it hits me, he never returned the "I love you." No, don't do this, I argue with myself, he's been pulled away from his work all day, he was just anxious to get back. I pull into the drive, then into the garage. Exiting into yard from the garage, I open the gate just as Marcus pulls into the drive. He pulls the birdbath from my car and carries it into the yard. As he sets it down he looks around, "Angel wasn't kidding, you've got your work cut out for you. I know I'm just your 'go-to guy', but if you need any help with this, you let me know."

"Thank you, Marcus," damn he's a catch, I hope things get serious between him and Angel. "And you're not just a go-to guy, you're a great guy. I'm glad to know you're there for me, and if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to call me. I really consider you a friend."

He looks embarrassed, "Thank you, that means a lot to me. Goodnight, Ma- Dana," he corrects himself.

As he turns to leave, I yell, "Please tell me you and Angel exchanged numbers."

He looks love struck when he answers, "We did," as he leaves the yard.

Since I've been fed, and I'm already dirty, I dive back into the area where Angel and I had started. I thought what I had discovered on the one side was a pure luck, but what I'm uncovering in the back section is a pot of gold!

I work until dark, lock up the house, shower and head straight to bed, I'm beyond exhausted. I fall asleep almost immediately.