Part 51

As soon as the stress of the morning dissipates, I am overwhelmed with exhaustion. Since I still have some time, I make my way back into the house to shower and pack my bag, then I slip on a nightie, set an alarm, and crawl back into our unmade bed. I'm asleep in minutes.

"Sugar?"

I feel my hair being petted. I open my eyes to see a very concerned Prince sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Hey," I smile up at him as I reach for my phone on the nightstand.

I had the alarm set for 2:30, and it's only 1:57, he's home earlier than I thought he would be.  He strokes my hair again, then rests the back of his hand on my forehead, "Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just," I shake my head as I sit up, "yeah, I'm fine."  I crawl out of the bed, and start toward the bathroom. 

He stays seated, watching me while I walk by, then he follows close behind me, "If you're not feeling well, we don't have to go tonight." His voice is sympathetic. 

"I really am fine.  I just needed the nap. This morning was a bit much. I guess l let things get to me more than I think they do, it leaves me drained," I sputter in my attempts to explain my weariness. 

"I'm sorry, Sugar," he pulls me in for a hug, "all this because I wanted to see the Lakers play," he kisses my cheek.

"Basketball?" I whisper in disbelief. 

Now, I feel stupid as I cover my face with my hand.  All this grief because he wanted to go to a basketball game. 

"You said you didn't like sports," he explains.

"I don't," I whisper.  Feeling slightly relieved to know why he skipped town without warning, although I don't condone him for not telling me, "Can you just tell me next time?"

"I will, I promise."  He releases the embrace enough to kiss my forehead, "Are you sure you're okay?" 

I can feel myself still frowning as I nod, my eyes are focused elsewhere.  I keep telling him to let me in, but I haven't really shared my anxiety issues with him.  So I start, "In case you haven't noticed," I punctuate that with a nervous titter, "I suffer with anxiety."

He half smiles and rolls his eyes just a bit, "I've noticed," a smile plays on his lips, as if he would have had to been blind not to see it. 

"And some mild depression, too," I look downward, I always feel weak when I have to explain my actions.  "Usually, I can keep it hidden, well, when I was alone, anyway," I pause, biting my lip, "but I'm not, now."  He nods, letting me continue, "Prince, these past 6 weeks have felt like a year, a LOT has happened..."

His eyes are full of compassion, but he presses his lips together as he thinks.  I see some of the same characteristics in his behaviors so I know he's able to understand .  His eyes show that, but the pressing of the lips indicate he's not going to discuss it with me. 

"So, there's that."  I try to break the seriousness as we stand there staring at each other.  "Am I really worth all this trouble?"

Now it's his turn to frown, "Yes," it's slow and drawn out.  His eyes scrutinize me as he shakes his head ever so slightly, as if I should have known better than to doubt myself.  He points to my closet and says in an easy manner, "Get dressed."

----------

Just over two hours later we are on the jet and airborne.  The tension of the morning has slipped away, but Prince remains highly attentive.

"Do you think you should take another nap?" he asks as we remove our seatbelts.

"No," I pause. "Do you have your bible with you?"