Part 6

Angel hangs around for a little bit, since we didn't have any plans anyway. Derik runs his little legs off in the yard, and has calmed considerably since he first got here.

Angel pulls me aside, "You know, I thought he was just putting on a show when we went to get measured for our uniforms, being all kind and considerate, but he really is, isn't he?"

"He is," I agree.

"How did he take the whole Aaron thing the night of the event?"

"Better than I did, I thought I screwed up big time. He wasn't even angry, not with me anyway," I confess.

He looks over at us, then comes to join us, "Talking about me?"

He tucks a stray hair behind my ear, I start to deny it, but change my mind, honesty is best, "Yes, that you are 100% a gentleman."

He raises his head in a sort of acknowledging nod, and a bashful smile.

Derik comes over from watching some butterflies, wraps himself around Angel's legs, "Mama, I'm hungwy."

Angel looks at her watch, "No wonder, it's past one. I'm sorry, baby, we'll get something on the way home."

Prince looks down at Derik, "Would you like if we went somewhere together to eat?"

Derik starts jumping up and down, "Yes, yes, yes, yes!" Grabbing onto Angel's shirt, "Please, Mama! I want to eat with Pwince."

I smile at Prince, "Pwince?" I laugh, he has the same soft look in his eyes I know I do.

"I'm not really dressed," Angel starts to protest.

Prince seals the deal, "Derik, do you like breakfast?"

"Oh, yea!" Derik's bouncing again, "Ma, Ma!"

"Okay, you win, but you don't play fair, Mr. Nelson," wagging her finger at Prince, he feigns innocence.

We transfer Derik's car seat to my car. Angel's car was too small for all of us, the SUV seemed too huge, we'd all be separated. Prince drives us to the little mom and pop diner we went to just yesterday, he even orders the same thing. Derik had pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream on top. Angel and I had eggs over easy with hash browns, it was the best breakfast/lunch ever.

As soon as Derik ate, he started to get drowsy, he never made it the short drive back to my place. Angel struggles to get him out of his seat when we get back. Once she has him lifted, Prince reaches out and takes Derik into his arms, freeing her to transfer the seat. Prince holds him gently, Deriks little head lolling over his shoulder, Prince closes his eyes, rests his cheek on Deriks head, and begins to sway.

I stand taking in the scene, my heart hurts it's so touching, my eyes fill with tears. Angel finishes securing the seat in time to turn and witness this moment, she gives me a sad smile before tapping Prince's shoulder to claim her son back. Prince insists on putting him in his seat, he meticulously latches the clips. I tell Angel that I'll get ahold of her with details, tomorrow afternoon at the latest, then we say our goodbyes.

Prince goes back to his guitar, picking it up, he settles and begins to play. He's no longer here, he has disappeared into the music. I walk up beside his chair, touch his shoulder, no response. I remove my hand and place a soft kiss on his cheek, I see a single tear slip free. I swallow as I fight back my own tears. I leave him to play and work through his emotions, I go into the house to make more phone calls.

----------

I look out the back door several time, Prince stays entranced while playing his guitar, I don't dare disturb him. It's just about dark and I'm headed to go out to bring him in, it's been hours, maybe I can distract him.

As I head towards the back door, I hear the SUV start up. I rush out the back door, his guitar is setting on the chair. I go around the back of the house, heading toward the driveway. I round the corner just in time to see the tail lights disappearing down the street.

I stand there in awe, I'm not worried that he won't be back, just concerned because of his mood before he left. I take a deep breath, he's a grown man, a very capable man, but deep down a very sensitive man.

I return to the back porch, picking up his guitar, I bring it into the house. I set it down on the couch, and sit on the other end. I flip on the tv and wait.

----------

About a half hour later, I hear the engine of the SUV pulling up the drive, it shuts off. I hear the door open, I mute the tv in case he calls to me, nothing. He comes around from the kitchen, he sees me on the couch, he looks so small.

"Hey," I say softly, he stays standing there.

Our eyes lock, I pat the couch cushion beside me. He takes a deep breath, strides over and picks up his guitar. He places it on the floor and sits down a distance away from me, I wait patiently, I've seen this before. He lays down in fetal position, putting his head on my lap. I began to stroke his face, his eyes close. I unmute the tv and we stay this way for quite a while, until he looks up at me and whispers, "I want to go to bed."

I lead him down the hall, we strip and crawl into bed in silence. The only thing different tonight, I spoon him.