Part 11

I now have two pieces of luggage, two donation bags, and three bags of trash all in the garage waiting by the car and it's just past noon.

"I'm going to haul off my trash, I don't want someone to have to deal with my can. I should be able to do that and the donation bin and be back in about 30 minutes," I explain.

Prince picks up my keys, "I'm driving until you have a meal. We should have time to stop real quick," jingling my keys as he thinks.

I load the donation bags into my car first, as Prince puts my luggage into the SUV. He's back quickly to help with the last of the trash bags. We get in, and I direct him to the county dump first. I rarely come here anymore because I have trash pick up, but it's quiet this Wednesday afternoon and thankfully, there is no line.

We leave there to head back the way we came from for the donation bins. I hop out, toss the bags in and get back into the car. Prince doesn't put the car in gear right away, he just looks at me, "Food."

I give him some options, "I'm not hungry," is the answer I'm given, so I direct him to a place that has some healthier options for me to choose from. It's about halfway between where we are and my place, so we pull into the lot in a matter of minutes.

I decide on a grilled cod, with a grilled zucchini medley, and rice pilaf. I planned on ordering a side of fries if Prince didn't order, because I know he'd nibble those, but he surprises me by ordering a baked macaroni and cheese, and two large glasses of orange juice.

I make a face at the orange juice order, "It's good for you," he says, end of discussion.

I devour my meal, and drink my orange juice. I'm full and feeling much better as we head back towards my place, but Prince still insists on driving.

"Is it okay that we spend a little time on the porch when we get back? I just want to enjoy it a little longer," I watch him as he drives.

He nods, "I was already thinking that," giving me a sweet smile, "I'll read to you, if you like?"

"Please," I could listen to him read to me forever.

He pulls into the garage, and parks, we get out. I grab his cane and place it in the back of the SUV before I head around the back of the house. Prince has went inside to fetch his bible.

I'm standing in front of the flowers, trying to take it all in, creating a memory. I know in a couple weeks time, when I come back to square away a few things, it'll look completely different with new blooms and a ton of weeds.

I turn to see Prince exit the back door, he's carrying his bible as well as a blanket that I keep on the back of my recliner. What a great idea, I think. He scans the area, walking over to what he believes is the perfect spot and spreads the blanket onto the ground. I join him on the blanket, we sit cross legged at first, knee to knee as he reads. He always pauses to discuss key points, which I love, it really helps me understand better.

The sound of his voice, along with the wind chimes and the birds, the warmth of sun and the tranquility of the garden, I feel peaceful. We're running out of time here, but I feel cuddly. I move closer, lean in and kiss his shoulder. He puts the book down, reaching to hold me in our awkward position, he kisses my temple.

"We have to go soon," he whispers.

"I know," I whisper back. Lifting my head, I look around once more, taking a deep breath.

He removes his arms from around me and stands, he picks up the book, then offers his hand to me. I take it, stand, then bend to retrieve the blanket, giving it a good shake, I fold it.

Prince is watching me, he must sense my mood, "I'll do everything I can to make you happy, Sugar," he takes my free hand in his, "I promise."

I smile and nod, "I know you will," and I believe he will, in his own way.

But do I know how to be happy? I keep that final thought to myself.

He walks with me through the house to make sure there's nothing else I need to take right now. The folded towels in the living room get put away into the linen closet in the bathroom, the extra items I take to add to the luggage in the SUV.

As I lock up the house, I turn to him, "I need your key," holding out my hand.

His eyes question me, "You're taking my key?"

"To leave for Angel," I explain.

He opens the driver's door of the SUV, produces a key ring, and removes his key, handing it to me, his expression blank.

"I can make you another," I tell him as we head to the garden to hide it.

He shakes his head, "There's no sense in it, really," as he stands patiently waiting on me.

Taking my hand, he leads me to the passenger door. I climb in, fasten my belt and wait. Prince stands by the drivers door for a few seconds, taking in the view, before climbing in.

He fastens the seat belt, then starting the SUV, he looks over, there's a seriousness to his face, but a sparkle in his eyes, "Are you ready?"

It's the same tone and manner in which he started that song that he sang to me in the living room.

"Yes, I'm ready."

A smile plays on his lips as he puts the vehicle in motion.