Part 19

My eyes open as I wake, it's dark. I start to roll onto my back, my hand goes to my head, I groan. There's a dull throbbing throughout, even my eyes hurt.

I need some pain medicine, I can't stand this. I sit up slowly, then stand, feeling confident, I make my way to the closed bedroom door. Once I open it, I can hear the piano music, it's a hauntingly sad melody.

My eyes close, I never wanted to hurt this man, and somehow I've allowed myself to gut-punch him. I pad my way through the sitting room, then the loft, pressing the button on the elevator, it dings, the door opens. He probably never realized when he had this installed, just how much use it was going to get.

A second ding, I step out, wishing I would have remembered my slippers as my bare feet touches the cold tile. I walk to the piano, his eyes are closed as he plays. I slip in beside him on the piano bench, my back to the keys. His eyes open to look at me, he offers a sad smile, his fingers still moving over the keys. I kiss his shoulder then lean my head against it, he leans his head against mine. We stay that way until he finishes the piece.

"Hey, Sugar," he whispers, in the dim light he looks like he's aged a few years since this morning, I probably do, too.

"Hey," I kiss his shoulder again. Not sure which one of us I'm reassuring by doing so.

"How's your head?" his brows knit, his eyes scan mine.

"Bad, actually, that's why I'm down here, I need to take something."

"The hospital recommended Tylenol, since Advil and Aspirin could be an issue with the bleeding. I had Kirk bring some by, along with a prescription they wrote for you."

"Bleeding?!" it never occurred to me, I stand and rush to the main floor bath, I've been sleeping for hours.

Within seconds a soft knock on the bathroom door, "Sugar?"

I was thankful there wasn't much bleeding, since I wasn't prepared. I was also happy to see it never even transferred to the nightie.

I open the door, "Okay," I breathe, "it's not bad at all."

"Oh, Sugar," he breathes, taking hold of me in a tight embrace. We're both just beside ourselves.

"How can something we didn't even know about hurt so bad?"

He kisses me on the lips, but doesn't answer. I hold back my tears, for him more than for me. He does what he does best, he changes the subject.

"Let's get that Tylenol, then I'm calling Ray to bring us something to eat," taking my hand, we head into the kitchen.

"It's late," I look at the time on the stove, "It's almost 1 o'clock!"

He laughs, it's the first time I've seen a genuine smile all day.

"I can honestly say that Ray will not be surprised if I call him at almost 1 o'clock," he reaches for the kitchen phone.

By 2 o'clock, Ray is pulling into the drive with two steaming containers.

"Comfort food you want, comfort food you get," I hear Ray from the foyer as I sit in the living room.

"Thank you, Ray," Prince says, "we appreciate this."

"Is everything okay? You usually don't request 'comfort food'," Ray's voice is soft.

"Everything will be fine. Dana's just not feeling well," Mr. Privacy doesn't divulge details, "What did you bring us, Ray?"

"A Broccoli and Orzo Casserole," Ray sounds proud, and even though I thought I wasn't hungry, it sounds delicious. "I'll let you guys eat while it's hot, tell Dana I hope she feels better. Call me if you need anything else."

"Thank you, again, Ray. I'll tell her," I hear Prince close the door, then I hear him moving around in the kitchen.

I get up and go into the kitchen. Prince has the lids removed from the containers and set on the countertop by the stools. A fork and napkin already by each one. As he's carrying two glasses of water over, he smiles at me, "Ray sends his wishes."

I nod, "I heard." l look at the food, "This looks delicious," I take a seat on the stool.

Prince sits next to me, his eyes scan me, pausing momentarily on my breasts, then his eyes quickly return to meet mine, like it never happened, "It does."

I look down, my nipples are highly visible through the thin silk, he's still a man, I think. As my eyes meet his, he looks ashamed that I noticed his ogling, he lifts his fork, and starts picking at his food.

I do the same, taking a bite, I let out a moan of appreciation. Prince, looking straight ahead, his eyes get wide, just his eyes turn to me, full of amusement. I pretend to be embarrassed, covering my mouth with my hand. I get a smile before he takes a bite, he does the same.

"See?" I say, I reach over, stroking his shoulder and down his back.

His eyes do the breast glance again.

"Do you want me to put on a robe?" I ask.

His eyes rove again, "No. I like it," he smiles and takes another bite.

We eat in silence for a moment, I can't get past his last comment, what's wrong with us?

"Prince?" he looks at me, chewing, his eyebrows up, waiting. "Is it wrong that I want you to touch me?"

He stops chewing, and swallows, he takes a sip of water. "No," his eyes travel again, "because I want to touch you," he looks at his food, "but I don't think we're supposed to."

"No, we can't make love, not yet," this actually disappoints me.

At least now I know the urge is mutual. We finish our meal in a more relaxed mood. With my head feeling better from the Tylenol, I'm tired, but I also want to be close to him while he's here.

I allow myself to be needy with all that's happened today, and he doesn't seem to mind. He lets me cuddle against him while he flips channels on the television. He soon gets restless, because there's nothing on worth watching, flipping off the television, "Want me to read to you?"

"Yes," I think we need this. I'm finding I really enjoy that special time with him, it's grounding.

Into the elevator and back upstairs, I use the bathroom, still amazed to see that my bleeding isn't bad. I head into my closet, into my suitcase for some cotton panties I kept, then I locate a pantyliner from my toiletry bag, just in case the bleeding gets worse. Prince returns from his closet in a pewter color silk pajama set, he's beautiful.

His bible sits on his nightstand, we climb into bed, arranging the pillows so we can be close, I like to read while he reads aloud, I get more from it that way. We read and discuss for almost two hours, when I stifle a yawn, he marks the page and closes the book, "You need to rest," he pecks my cheek.

I roll to my side, getting comfortable, I assume he's going to leave me, but instead I feel his body snuggling tight behind me. The silk on silk sensation is new, but I like it, I still can feel every part of him. He kisses my bare shoulder, then pulling me even tighter, he settles. As I'm drifting off I hear him whisper, "Sugar?"

I don't respond, because I'm so drowsy at this point, I assume he's checking to see if I'm awake so he can sneak out of bed. Then I hear him whisper, "I love you, Baby," as he cuddles closer.

It barely registers as I drift off to sleep in the comfort of his arms.