Part 26

Outside the closed door, I take a deep breath, feeling slightly better than I did when I arrived. I know he's not neglecting me on purpose, but why whisk me here so fast if he knew he already had an agenda?

Figuring I'll never fully comprehend the way his mind works, I'll have to continue to chisel information from him before my mind turns it into a problem.

These thoughts bounce randomly through my brain as I wander the hallways. The timeline of his career rolls out before me, I'm torn between being an adoring fan and current 'love interest'. Now I ponder that term, girlfriend, lover, muse, what am I?

Slowly, making my way through his accomplishments, I remember his words to me the other day: 'my life has never been easy.' No, my little music man, it has not, he has fought tooth and nail for everything I'm seeing along these walls. Tears well in my eyes, at first I think they're pity, but soon realize they're out of love. I have loved this man before I really knew what love was. At the tender age of nine he had me, hook, line and sinker, and now I'm here, roaming the hallways of Paisley Park.

I see that he's designing themed rooms for different albums. A couple are finished, some in beginning stages, just how many projects does he have going at once? I take my time strolling around, the atmosphere in this place is addictive, like a comfort bubble, I think. The scent that seems infused in the walls reminds me of how Prince smells, like lavender and soft citrus, intriguing yet mellow.

I find myself not wanting to leave the longer I stay, but I know I really want to get home and brainstorm on that garden. I make my way back the way I had come, entering the Atrium.

As I start to pass Kirk, I smile, he pauses, "Are you feeling better?"

"Yes, thank you."

"That's good to hear."

He continues on his way, I don't get a warm welcoming feeling from him like I do the others. Maybe because he's been with Prince so long, and I'm just another woman. He may take longer to open up, but I'm not worried about him right now.

I step into the vestibule, then out the main entrance, as my feet hit the concrete, my comfort bubble pops. I'm amazed at how I'm drawn to return to the building, it's like a magnet. Getting to my car, I stop and stare at the building, taking it all in, part of me understands why Prince can spend so much time here.

I climb into the car, the bell indicates my keys are in the ignition, I shake my head at Prince's sense of trust, he doesn't even lock the house when we leave. I start the car, heading 'home' which makes me a little nervous, I've only been to Paisley twice since we got here Wednesday. Ten minutes later I pull into our drive, patting myself on the back for paying attention to the route.

I pull around, parking in front of the garage, I don't have the remote yet, so I get out and head to the side door. Bracing myself before I see the stain on the floor, I enter the garage, I stop, it's gone! Thank God, I don't even care who or when, just that it's gone. I find two remotes on a shelf, taking one, I hit the button, the door rolls open, I pull my car in, and lower the door.

Heading in through the kitchen, I get the sense someone has been in the house. I look around, everything looks in its place, I frown. Walking over to the dishwasher, I open it, it's empty. I check the laundry room, the hamper is empty, as well as the washer and dryer, I knew I had laundry to do today. A maid is the only thing I can think of. I walk my way through and up the stairs, I find the bed linens changed, fresh towels placed by the tub. Alongside one of the sinks is my toy, I'm slightly embarrassed that someone had to find that, I clean it and put it away immediately.