Part 49

Angel calls me back as we are almost to Paisley Park, she's upset, but in a chiding way, "This is the notice you give me?" is her response to my 'hello'.

Prince, driving, can hear her loud and clear, he shoots me an amused look and says loudly, "Hello, Angel."

"Oh," she laughs, "Hello, back."

"I just found out myself, I'm sorry," I look at Prince, because it's all his fault we're not in the know.

"Well, I work tonight, tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. The weekends are good for tips, but I'll see what I can do about switching with someone. What's the best day for y'all?"

I look to Prince because I know he's still listening. "Tell her, Saturday night you're mine," he says, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Angel?" I ask, in case she didn't hear.

"I heard. Okay, I'll try for Friday first, if not, then Sunday. I'll text you back, K?"

We say our goodbyes and I look at Prince as we're pulling into Paisley's gate, "Saturday, I'm yours, huh?"

"Yep." The way he says that single word is full of confidence, the smirk on his face screams of a secret he's not sharing. He's been up to something for days, even if he has been distant, I can still feel it. It reminds me of those people who can't keep a surprise, they want to tell, they're excited by the knowledge, and they're doing their best to not blow it.

Once inside the Atrium, we walk around the flower in the middle of the floor, and he leads me to the elevator. He's carrying my clothing to be altered in a garment bag slung over his shoulder. We exit the elevator and he strides right into the wardrobe department. Danielle doesn't seem phased as she turns from what she's currently working on.

"There you are," she says, approaching me as if Prince wasn't standing right there. "Good to see you again, Dear." She starts plucking at the dress I'm wearing.

"Oh, you don't have to worry about this one," I explain and point to the garment bag Prince is holding, "Just those, for now."

"I'll need to get new measurements on you, Dear," as she takes the bag from Prince, hangs it and starts scanning the things I brought. "Take off your dress, please," she turns to me.

Before I can protest, Prince is behind me, unzipping my dress and letting it slip forward off my shoulders, it falls to the floor. Danielle is already looping the measuring tape around waist, my hips, my bust and a few other places, jotting down numbers as she goes. Prince watches all of this, his fingers of one hand resting on his lips, his eyes full of amusement at my embarrassment.

"Okay, Dear, get dressed."

I have my dress off the floor and back over my shoulders in an instant. Prince zips me, making sure his fingers graze my skin all the way up my spine, giving me chills. I swear I hear him whisper what he had said to me this morning: mine. Although the way it crept into my mind, I doubt myself that it was actually said.

I turn to him, "What did just you say?"

"I didn't say anything, Sugar," there is an awareness in his expression.

As I stand trying to decipher what has just happened, Danielle saves me from my awkwardness, "Give me about an hour," as she walks us towards the door. We are obviously being dismissed so she can get to work, so we head back downstairs to get some breakfast.

****

Ray serves us up some gingerbread waffles and fruit cups for our breakfast, along with the signature orange juice, of course. As we eat, Prince talks about how things are coming along on the album, and again about the possibility of touring after the new year.

"I've just about got it where I want it. As soon as I do, I'll play it for you," I can tell he's excited.

"What's the name of the album going to be?" I don't know if he's that far yet, but I ask anyway.

"Hit 'N Run, Phase One," he looks at me.

The words 'Phase One' makes me a bit anxious, "How many phases are there going to be?"

He twists his lips in thought, "At least two. I have enough songs ready to roll, but some fit better with others. So as soon as I get those arranged, I'm ready. Then, I can get moving onto the next one with 3rd Eye Girl."

I make sure not to choke on my waffle, he went from working on one album, to 'at least two'. Now he's already talking about a third album, plus a tour! He'll never be home, I think to myself. Somewhere in all of this, he wants a baby?

He sees my expression change, "What's the matter, Sugar?"

"Do I fit into this whole scheme of things you have planned?" I don't even try to hide my worry.

"Yes, you do," his expression is sincere, "You play a very important role."

He reaches across the table and takes my hand as he watches my face. I smile at him, but it's forced and I know he can tell. Before he can say anything else, Kirk rounds the corner, catching his attention.

"I'll be right back," he pauses to kiss my cheek before he leaves the room. I sit staring at Prince's plate across the table, feeling uneasy, I finish my juice.