Part 14

I don't know how long I stood there in the foyer, but I feel disconnected from everything. It's just me and this house, welcome to Minnesota, I think.

I take a deep breath and head upstairs, I might as well unpack those two bags I brought with me. I step inside one closet, it's obviously Prince's. There are quite a few items in there already, plus his wedged shoes are lined up along the bottom.

Turning off the light, I head to the other side. As I flip on the light I see items in this one, too, but mostly dresses. No wonder the man had been on my phone for the last two days, he's accomplished a lot.

I peruse the dresses, he knows exactly what styles and patterns flatter my figure, I see several I can't wait to wear. I also have shoes lined up along the bottom, and I'm relieved they all have modest heels.

There are drawers upon drawers that I start opening. More matching bra and panty sets, nylon hose, and slips. There's one drawer with a note on top of its contents, I recognize Prince's handwriting:

If you insist on wearing something to bed.

The drawer is filled with an array of silk nightdresses with matching robes. The jewel tone colors are stunning. On the shelf below, matching ballet style slippers.

Against the wall of the closet I find my two bags. I look at them and decide it's not really a pressing issue anymore to unpack them, so I leave them there.

Just as I step back into the bedroom, I hear what sounds like a doorbell. I carefully make my way back downstairs, a little anxious because I don't know who in the world would be at my front door.

I peek out the window to see a white van with lettering like a caterer's vehicle. I open the door, "Hello?"

"Dana?"

A pleasant looking man with brown hair and glasses looks at me, he's holding a white container.

"Yes?" my interest is peaked.

"Hi, I'm Ray, Prince's chef," he extends his hand.

I smile, shaking his hand, "It's nice to meet you Ray, come in," I step back allowing him to enter.

"It's nice to meet you, too. Care to point me to your kitchen?"

"Follow me," as I lead him.

"I have very strict instructions to," he pulls a note out of his pocket, " 'make sure she eats'," he looks at me raising his eyebrows.

I roll my eyes, pat my stomach, "Does it look like I'm starving, Ray?"

"You look fine, Ma'am, but I have my orders," he turns, setting a temperature on the oven, he places the container inside. "In ten minutes, you'll have a hot, delicious dinner," he smiles.

"Thank you, I'm sure it will be," the food sure did smell good as he walked through the door.

I pause, looking at him, "Is Prince going to have you watch me eat?" I make a dissatisfied face.

Ray laughs, "Oh no, Ma'am. I have to head back and prepare his meal. He said you are a fan of breakfast, as well?"

"Oh, yes, I am."

"Good. While we have a few minutes, could you please write down some food likes and dislikes?"

I jot down a couple rough ingredient lists for him, and he promises to do the best he can, "Prince is my boss, he has the final say in anything I prepare, but I'll do my best on nights I'm preparing separate meals for you, to cater to your likes." I thank him.

Ray pulls my container from the oven, removing the lid, he sets it on the countertop where I'm sitting.

"Give it just a couple minutes, it's hot. I hope you enjoy it," he starts out if the kitchen.

I walk him to the door, "Thank you, I can't wait to dig in."

"Have a good evening, Ma'am," he's out the door and headed for the van.

I return to the kitchen to eat, my mouth is watering from the aroma. The food is delicious, although I have no idea what the dish was called. It's not exactly visibly appealing, and picking through it, there is no trace of meat, but the flavor is out of this world. One thing I could be positive of, it has to be healthy, I eat the entire plate.

With a full belly and a sense of restlessness, I head out into the backyard area, to walk what I assume is the perimeter of the yard. Looking through the thick underbrush and trees that have invaded the area, I see some fencing in the far distance that must indicate the end of our property. The yard is actually much bigger than it looks, I can clear quite a bit and still keep the illusion of a wooded area, I really don't want to look at a fence. I turn to take in the view of the house from the wooded area, them return to the porch to look out into the yard, this will help me with layout once I get started. Since it's already getting dark, and head back into the house.

I go through the house making sure all doors and windows are locked. This is by no means a neighborhood where I should fear anything, but I still want to be safe, it's my first night alone in a strange house. Once I have the house secured, I head back upstairs, through our bedroom and into the bathroom.

Sitting on the edge of the tub, I turn on the water, adjust the temperature, then duck into my closet to pull out one of those nightie sets. I see no sense in getting dressed to watch television, wander the house and go to sleep.

I grab my phone, no calls or messages, but I bring it with me and set it by the edge of the tub, just in case. As I slip into the tub, I frown, as I think. I don't even have a garden to enjoy, that is now priority one. Tomorrow I'll get the ball rolling somehow, and I start mentally designing while I soak.

I get out, grabbing one of those fluffy towels, and dry off, slipping a nightie over my naked body. Oh, man, that silk feels lovely against skin. A satisfied smile crosses my face as I pull on the matching robe and ballet slippers. There's so much tile in the house, you need slippers, even if you are heading into June.

I decide to use the elevator to go back down to the living room where I can relax and watch television. Still carrying my cell phone with me, I curl up on the couch, aimlessly flipping channels. I give up about midnight, heading back upstairs, I crawl into our new bed I try not to feel lonely.