Part 55

Now that we know Angel is awake, and we are more than halfway home, I ask her, "Do you need to head right out when we get back?"

"No, why?"

"I really need to get that place ready so you can start moving in. We don't have much time, so, could you walk through with me tonight?"

"Yeah, of course, I will." She looks at Derik, "I need to get him up and moving around anyway, or I'll never get him down tonight."

When we get to my place, Derik doesn't stir, "Leave him there," Prince says as Angel unbuckles him, "I'll watch him. You ladies do what you need to do."

We see Prince move one of the chairs from off the back porch to over by the open car door. We know Derik is in good hands as we head in through the back door. I tell Angel to wait as I grab a pen and notebook, returning to the living room.

As I start to run through the things she needs removed, we hear the acoustic guitar start. We pause and look at each other as Prince starts to sing:

Cool as the other side of the pillow
Smooth as another glass of wine, oh yes sir
I'm so glad U're my baby, oh yeah
I'm so glad that U're mine
Bad as Bonny when she ran with Barrow [Clyde], yeah...

I smile, mouthing the words to the song, and swaying to the tune.

Angel shakes her head, "How do you handle that?"

When U kiss me, feels like I'm committing a crime, oh yeah
U use furniture in new ways, yes you do
I can't find the adjectives enough to say
I'm so glad U're my baby...okay (yeah yeah yeah yeah)

"Handle what?" I keep mouthing the words.

She points to the back window, "That's PRINCE!"

Cool as the other side of the pillow (oh baby)
So smooth there's another glass of wine (bubbly, bubbly)
I'm so glad U're mine, U're my baby (oh yes I am), oh yes I am (oh yes I am)

I have to stop and think about it. "It's so weird, Angel, I mean, I know he's Prince, but he's also a 'regular' guy. You've seen that from him from the beginning," I try to explain.

Cool as the other side of the pillow
Smooth, I wanna drink U all out
How did U learn that trick with the ... chair?
I don't care
Just as long as U do it again

"He really is kinda typically normal, isn't he?" she looks confused as I do.

"You have no idea how typical. He leaves his socks on the bathroom floor, when he does take them off," she looks at me quizzically, I shake my head, skimming over that detail. "He even leaves the toilet seat up, for God's sake!" I laugh.

Cool as the other side, cool as the other side, cool as the other..
Cool as the other, cools as the other side...
As the other side of the pillow, baby
Cool,
Glass of wine
I'll get tipsy and I ... [whistling]
Cool as the other side of the pillow
Cool

The guitar stops, I continue.

"Seeing him perform at the event was really hard for me, though, that's when he's Prince, the superstar. I felt very overwhelmed. When we're together, he's Prince, just a regular guy."

The guitar starts back up, then his voice:

If u're lookin' 4 a man who can share his dinero