Part 60

I stop when he stops, then he maneuvers me backwards, the back of my legs touch on a familiar object, the chaise, I smile as he guides me to sit. "Don't move, Sugar," he tells me before I sense he's no longer near me.

I wait, full of anticipation, my senses are heightened since I'm blindfolded. I can smell the sweet earthiness of the vineyard, I can hear the peepers and the crickets beginning their serenades and I can still feel Prince's energy coming from somewhere in front of me.

I hear one chord of a piano, I grip the chaise, and silently mouth the words, "Oh. My. God." That's what he didn't want me to see, he brought a piano here.

I hear Prince laugh, then he starts playing a slow, undulating piece. I want to remove my blindfold, but I was told not to move. I stay gripping the chaise, losing myself to the music, I'm smiling so hard and for so long that it's actually starting to hurt by the time the song comes to a finish.

Then there is silence, even the peepers and the crickets couldn't compete with that serenade. I can sense Prince near me even before I feel him start to lift the blindfold from my eyes. He's leaning over in front of me when I open my eyes, his eyes are level with mine, they're sparkling under the twinkle lights.

His eyes remain locked as I see him kneel down on one knee in front of me, his face aglow. My heart leaps into my chest as he produces a purple velvet box from his other side pocket, a sideways grin appears when he knows I've seen it.

"Sugar," he stops, lowering his eyes, he shakes his head. Still holding the box, he looks back up at me, and starts over.

"Dana," he smiles and takes a breath, "I said years ago that I was done with serious relationships. After two failed marriages and all the heartache that went with it, I didn't ever want to go through that again. I was done. I turned to God and His word even more than I ever had before, but I quit praying for love," he looks down and takes another breath.

"Driving through this area, the vineyard called to me, I took it as a sign from God that there was something here worth exploring, I decided to host the charity event, assuming that was the call." As I sit watching him struggle with his emotions, my eyes fill with tears, I can't hold them back and they slip free, one after the other.

"Then you walked into the barn, I just knew." He hesitates, "Now, you're not exactly what I had pictured in my mind, but my heart knew instantly when I saw you. I was here for you."

He offers the box to me in the center of his hand, "Dana, would you be my wife?"

I take the box, without opening it, and pull him into an embrace, I'm full out sobbing as I whisper into his ear, "Yes, I'll be your wife."

We stay clung together as I sob, me on the chaise, him still on one knee. I hear him sniff and I pull away, his cheeks are stained with tears, as well. I kiss each of his tear trails before I press my mouth to his, this a highly emotional kiss and we let it consume us, nothing else matters at this moment.

Nothing.

(To be continued....)