Part 46

The weekend comes and goes, and now it's Wednesday. Prince pretty much stays holed up at Paisley Park, and I stay focused on working in our backyard. We have had brief visits where he has stopped by the house during the day, or where I have bumped into him in passing while I was visiting at Paisley. We haven't made love since Saturday morning, because we really haven't had a quiet moment together since. Even though I know he doesn't celebrate his birthday, I planned on at least seeing him that day, but he remained unavailable.

I've been going to Paisley to eat more often than not, Ray's meals can't be beat. When I'm there, I notice the flower is still being moved back and forth from the studio to Atrium, and it's actually starting to come along and thrive. Marcus, meanwhile, is doing a great job watering and caring for the flowerbeds in the front, on one of my visits, I treated them with some plant food to help them establish quicker.

Since I have discovered and almost cleared the amazing oasis in the center of the back section of the yard, I called Lowe's and had the two pallets of landscaping stones, and the pallet of pea gravel returned. In exchange, I purchased some larger ground cover to complete the bare area, and some flatter stones and purple flowers to ring a tree that's closer to the back door.

I had also arranged with the city to come and pick up my overwhelming amount of compost that had been taking over a large portion of the lawn area in the back yard

I had also arranged with the city to come and pick up my overwhelming amount of compost that had been taking over a large portion of the lawn area in the back yard. Now I have room to start the process all over again as I'm reaching the halfway point along the back to the yard.

I'm not really feeling lonely because I'm so busy. I am also being careful with any purchases that I make for the yard, keeping them within reason, although Prince has told me, more than once, not to skimp on our garden.

***

As I'm digging up more roots, I start to wonder if he really meant what he said about us going to visit Tennessee the end of this week, or if I had misunderstood.

With that thought, I decide to call Angel, I could use a break, anyway. I climb up onto the stone wall and pull out my cell phone.

"Hey," she answers, "I've been wondering about you! I thought y'all were coming down?"

"Yeah, I thought so, too, but we've both been so busy..." I start.

Angel sighs, "Is he leaving you alone again?"

"Yep, I didn't even see him on his birthday, which was Monday," I admit.

"That's crappy."

"I know. He doesn't celebrate it anyway, but still. I had even went grocery shopping, to make us a dinner, but I couldn't get ahold of him," I grumble.

"Oh, no, I'm sorry. Hey, how's the yard coming?"

Smart girl, she's a subject changer, too. This question starts me rambling, but Angel is amazed as I am at everything I've found so far. "I'll send you some pictures later," I promise her.

We chit chat a bit more about her packing and decluttering before her move, and about Derik.

I also find out that her and Marcus have been talking quite often since she's returned to Tennessee, although she says she wants to take things slow.

We finish the call with my word to let her know as soon as I hear something about coming down, and say our goodbyes.

My gloves go back on, and losing myself in the dirt and tangle of roots I'm trying to clear out.

As the sun starts to set, I pull myself off of the ground, heading into the house to shower, make a light dinner, and relax before bed.

After eating and cleaning up the kitchen, I decide to call Marcus. I'd like to know what's going on as far as going to Tennessee.

"Hey, what'cha need?" he answers. Marcus has grown casual with me, which I like, but he remains all-business if Prince is around.

"Are you at Paisley?" I ask, since it's almost 9 o'clock at night.

"No, Ma'am, I've been home since noon, Prince flew out to L.A. I was just told to be on call for you."

"He flew out to L.A.?" It's not so much a question as it is me repeating the information in shock.

"He didn't tell you?" His voice is soft.

"No, I was actually calling to see if you could find out about us heading to Tennessee, but...."

"Well, I can tell you this, I have the weekend off. Friday afternoon through Monday morning, to be exact. My guess would be yes, you're going to Tennessee."

I sigh, "I see. Thank you, Marcus, I appreciate you being open with me."

"No problem. I'm sorry he left you in the dark like that, though. I don't feel it's right for him to leave town without at least telling you. In his defense, though, he has been alone for quite a while."

"There's no need to defend him, we are both adults. Would you do me one thing, though?"

"You name it."

"If you hear from him, could you ask him to call me when he gets a chance, please?"

"Will do, Dana. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," I hit the disconnect button.

Why on earth didn't he feel the need to tell me he was traveling? He had said he had wanted me to travel with him before.

I do my best to put the conversation out of my mind and go to watch some television before bed. I can't focus on the program and I'm grateful when the physical exertion from the last few days takes me over. I give up, turn off the television and go upstairs to bed.