Part 42

As we approach the driveway for Paisley, I spot a young lady sitting propped up against the base of a tree. She is a fair-skinned red head, her legs are bent and she's focused intently on something on her legs. I realize as we pass her that she's seems to be sketching or drawing.

She pauses and glances at my car as Prince drives through the gate, the Outback doesn't spark any interest from her and she returns to the task at hand.  I turn to Prince, "Who's that?"

He smiles as he looks past me to look at her, "She comes and draws periodically." 

"You ever talk to her?"

He shakes his head, "She's creating, I leave her be, plus she respects my space. Not once has she ever tried to walk through the gate."

I give her one more glance before he parks my car over by the flowerbeds.  As Prince exits the vehicle, I see the young woman take notice, she watches, but remains seated under the tree.  Prince raises his hand to acknowledge her, she responds with the same gesture, but it's in the slow-motion of disbelief.

He turns to me, "If you need anything, let Marcus know." He kisses my cheek before he heads into the building.  I immediately pop the tailgate and gear up, feeling grateful I brought my floppy hat as the sun beats down on my back.  I get to work pulling out depleted flowers and plants from last year.  With everything removed, I bust up the soil and clear out any roots before moving onto the next flowerbed square. 

As I finish the third of five squares, the delivery arrives.  I stand, greet the driver, and point to the area just behind my car. My dirt, mulch and birdbath are quickly placed onto the concrete and the driver is on his way. I return to the remaining flowerbeds, clearing the last two in short order.

I clumsily start hefting the heavy soil bags over to the flowerbeds, letting them drop from my arms into the ground once I get them there. Good gravy, I forgot how heavy these are, it's been awhile since I've had to bring in dirt.  I have purchased two bags per square, I sigh, I've have only moved four. I take a deep breath and struggle grabbing ahold of the fifth bag, hugging the easily 40lb bag to my body as I carry it. Half way, I think as I let it flop to the ground.

I turn to see Marcus hurrying towards me, "Dana, let me get those!"

"You'll get dirty," I protest. 

"No, I won't," he grabs a bag by the corner with each hand, walks them over to a flower bed, and sets them down. I make a face.

"Show off," I jokingly grumble at him, as he's moving the last bag.  He laughs, he's moved five bags in the time it took me to haul two. 

"Thank you, Marcus," as I brush loose soil from my T-shirt.

He points his finger at me, "You call me when you're ready for those others."

"Yes, Sir," he heads back into the building.

I return to the flowerbeds, dumping in the bags of new dirt, then arrange the flowers on top.  I do this for each square, then stand back to tweak the arrangements before planting them.  As I'm making some final touches in the placement, Prince strolls out to check on my progress. 

"Wow, you're ready to plant already?"  He scans the flowerbeds, nodding his satisfied nod.  "Don't we need more, though?"  he asks.

"Nope, give them a few weeks to spread out, they'll fill these areas," I explain. 

I had pulled off my gloves while we were talking, he reaches over and takes my hand, then leans in and plants a long kiss on my cheek, "You're doing a great job, Baby," he whispers.