Part 27

I turn on the computer, I start checking out the tutorial on the landscaping software and start playing with a design. I soon discover I may have been premature in ordering the two pallets of landscape bricks. My initial thought in planning is overrode by a more natural design, with less defined borders. Oh, well, I have 30 days to return those, just in case I change my mind again.

My phone rings, it's Marcus, that was quick, I think.

"Hello?" I sound expectant.

"Hey, Sugar," just the sound of Prince's voice makes me smile.

"Hey," my voice changes to a softer register now that I know it's not Marcus. "Sorry to bother you again," I start.

"You didn't. I had just come out to take a break, it was perfect timing. Don't worry, Sugar, I'll take care of everything. Call Angel and tell her to pack a bag."

"So, you don't mind?" I know he doesn't, but I feel I should ask.

"No, I don't mind, I like Angel. I'm just worried about Derik handling the flight."

"Derik's not coming, Angel's mom is keeping him," I fill him in.

"Oh," the disappointment is obvious.

"Maybe another time? Right now she understands it needs to be just us."

"Oh?"

It seems defensive, I replay my wording in my head, it did sound like I was excluding him. "Adults, I mean," I elaborate. Then I ask, "It's okay that she stays here, right?"

"Yes, yes, of course," he doesn't sound happy about it, it's barely even our space, but if she's coming, I'd like her to be at the house.

"You know you're the best, right?" I ask, wanting him to know how much I appreciate his generosity.

"I've been told," there's a laugh, but it sounds strained to me. "Sugar, I have to go, but have Angel call Marcus, he'll take care of everything, okay?"

"Okay, I will," not even a second goes by, as I'm saying, "I love you," I hear the call disconnect.

He never heard me, or at least I hope he didn't, I don't want to think he would have ignored that. I look at the phone, debating whether to call him back, I decide not, he is busy. I pull up Angel's number and hit send.

"Wow, that was fast," she answers, "I just got off the phone with my mom, we're good to go." She sounds excited.

I relay my brief conversation with Prince, a worried Angel says, "I don't want to cause a fight, are you sure? I can stay at a hotel."

"Angel, chances are he won't step a foot in this house all week, it'll be fine."

I give her Marcus's number, and we hang up. I feel better knowing I'll have another woman to talk to for a couple days. I wiggle the mouse on the PC to bring up the software, I stare at the image, shaking my head. Nope, it's old school time, I go back to the closet to pull out an old pair of sneakers, I'm going to wear myself out in that yard.

----------

Tools gathered, I start at the right side of the yard. I figure if I work myself around in a circle, the pallets should be gone before I get to that side. There is a beautiful line of pines along this one side, and the overgrown area is not so deep. There are some bushes I don't particularly love, but once shaped, I deem them worthy of staying, at least for a little while.

Moving along, I start weeding, pulling back grass that has creeped in, creating a defined line between lawn and soil. As I pull the taller, straw looking weeds that have taken over, I see decorative grasses behind, yes, what a find! It's going to take some time and effort to get them weeded out and back under control, but otherwise they're in great condition. Someone had really cared about this yard at one time.

I soon discover as I go along that my ideas for creating my own garden is no longer needed. I find more and more signs of existing landscaping that I can build upon and tweak. I look back at the piles I've created in just a very small distance, I'm going to need way more compost bags. I dive back in, trying to focus on 3 foot sections at a time.

I work until dusk, feeling pretty accomplished as I can see the original landscaping concept taking shape. Buried along with the ornamental grass was a couple of butterfly bushes, that, once trimmed, looked healthy and already beginning to show signs of new buds.

I gather my tools to return them to the garage, I leave the piles where they lay. I may need to rethink the compost bags, there's more than I had anticipated, and I haven't even gotten 40 feet down the first side.

Back in the house, I only pause to go to the bathroom before I head to the shower. I take note that my bleeding is almost non existent, with that in mind, I set an alarm on my phone to remind me about arranging an appointment first thing in the morning. I strip down and step under the spray, I know I won't have any trouble sleeping tonight after all that fresh air.

Clean, tired, and slightly sore from weeding, I head down to the kitchen. My stomach growls a complaint that lets me know I hadn't eaten since those pancakes this morning. I munch an apple as I scan the fridge and pantry, nothing is really grabbing me. So I go back to the bread and peanut butter I had ran across and settle for that.

As I nibble my sandwich, I wonder what the protocol is for calling Ray for meals, and stop mid thought, it's amazing how quickly one could get spoiled. I have been quite capable of feeding myself on my own for years now.

Sandwich finished, I pad into the living room, as I pick up the remote, my eyes feel heavy. Admitting defeat, I set it back down, making my way upstairs to go to bed.

The linens smell fresh and clean, I would have given anything for them to still smell like Prince as I cozy up to his pillow. In no time, I drift off to sleep.