Part 36

As we get onto the expressway, Angel turns to look at me, then glances towards Marcus. Marcus's eyes meet mine in the mirror, his eyebrows go up in a silent question, I nod, the privacy screen buzzes up into position.

"Did you have fun this morning?" I ask.

"Yes, but don't you dare change the subject, how did the appointment go?"

I sigh, "Okay, I mean good. Everything is fine, we can 'resume activities'," I do air quotes.

"You don't sound happy about it."

"We have to use condoms," I spit the word. "I know, I know, I'm supposed to use them. I have, and I will, but I hate them, it just doesn't feel the same. Thank goodness it's only for a month or so."

Angel nods, "Why a month or more?"

I brief her on the specifics of why we need the condoms for that long, "Then, we decide if I go back on the pill or not..."

She's listening and nodding, but this last sentence her eyes lock on mine, she caught my clue, she cuts me off, "If 'we' decide?! Girl, you better talk to me, now."

I tell her what Prince asked the doctor, and that we went somewhere private to talk, "He wants a child." I sigh, running my fingers along my skirt.

"What do you want?" Angel takes my hands, looking me square in the eye.

"I..." I stop, "I'm seriously contemplating it."

"Dana, you've known him for like, six weeks, right?"

"Right." She is not helping, I think.

"Ugh, but that night he was holding Derik," her face softens. Tears well up in my eyes as I remember the moment.

Angel presses her lips together, and sighs, "Wow, this is a hard one." Her pretty face is in deep thought, "I think you'd make a wonderful mom."

So Angel isn't 100% opposed to the idea either, I sit still blinking back tears. Angel shoots me a look, "Don't you dare make me cry," which makes me laugh, causing her to follow suit. Abruptly, she stops and her mouth drops open.

I look out the window, oh, my, God, this place is not huge, it's a city. "Is this a bad time to tell you I'm really not that much of a mall person?" I'm taken over a bit by my social anxiety.

"I'm not really either, but we can leave whenever you're ready."

Marcus manages to find a parking spot that isn't a mile away. We leisurely make our way to the entrance, Marcus follows us at a respectable distance so we can still talk.

Angel whispers, "Marcus said he was there when it happened, he's still really upset by it. He said he can..."

"Angel, don't repeat it please," I plead I can't hear it again, "I just thank God he was there."

I look over my shoulder at Marcus, he smiles and I return the smile. Angel continues, "He's a big softie. Oh, and he got divorced two years ago."

"That's a shame, he such a sweet guy," I think out loud.

Angel stops, hands on her hips, "Yeah, but, it's good for me," she has a determined look on her face.

I raise my eyebrows, "You really do like him, don't you?" I'm curious where all this is going to lead, and how, but I have an idea that Angel will give it her best.

Marcus picks up his pace, coming around us, he opens the door to the building. We step in and stop. "I don't even know where to start," I say, looking at Angel who is trying to take it all in as well. For lack of a better plan, I turn to the right and start walking, they follow.

————

Four and a half hours and one meal later we are wiped out, the place is the definition of sensory overload.

I 'purchased' a relatively inexpensive gold ankle chain with leaves on a tiny branch. Angel found a couple blouses and a dress, all of which went on the American Express. Of course this took a brief lecture from Marcus about how we were not supposed to pay for anything.

We toured an aquarium that I thoroughly enjoyed, and I snapped several pictures with my cell phone. It was nowhere near the fabulous ones we have in Tennessee, but definitely worth the price of admission, x3, that is.

We talk very little on the ride back since we talked pretty much the whole time we were in the mall. We mostly just enjoy the passing scenery and each other's company. As we're getting close to home, I spot a Walgreens. I tap on the privacy screen, it goes down, "I need to stop at the drugstore for a second."

Marcus pulls into the next drive and parks a short distance from the door. Angel looks confused, I mouth "condoms" to which she nods.

"Come with me, please?" I ask her.

"Oooookay?"

"For some reason I think I'll feel a little less self conscious."

The door opens, I crawl out, Angel in tow. Marcus starts to follow, "We'll Be right back, Marcus."

"Ma'am, I need ..." Marcus starts.

I whisper gently, "I need condoms, Marcus, please wait here."

I see him blush as he moves over to stand by the SUV to wait.

Angel and I beeline over to the condom section it's huge. I have an sensitivity to latex so I start scanning the latex-free ones. So many promise that they're 'next to nothing' or 'real feel', yeah right. I start grabbing an assortment of 3 packs, since I don't know which ones we will like.

When I have six 3 packs in my hand, Angel laughs, stopping me from grabbing any more. "You'd better stop, we're going to look like sluts."

I look at the packages, frustrated, "You're right, this should get us started."

Angel says, "Damn! Don't y'all sleep?"

"I meant to find one we like, but you believe what you want," I joke.

Angel grabs a 3 pack, I look at her quizzically she grins, "You never know," and winks.

We get the once-over by the cashier, pay, grab our bags and climb back into the SUV. It isn't long until we are home. As we pull up, I see something on the stoop by the front door. As we get closer to the door, I see it's a pot of purple Calla lilies.

I know who they're from before I pluck the note card from the holders:

                     4 not saying no

                                 ~ P