41

I could hear everyone talking to me, but didn't listen. It was all a blurred mess of voices. I heard my name occasionally, but I was numb. My whole body. I just personally snapped someone's neck, out of anger. The image played through in my head over and over. Before long everything was dark. I couldn't see anything.

Everything was dark, the only thing I could see was a reflection of myself. It was smirking at me, like it had done something bad. Or was doing something.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I'm you. Just a little different. Ahh. You didn't know about me. Unfortunate. I'm basically your alter ego. But I will be staying. Have fun staying in the darkness." She said.

"What? How is this possible?" I asked.

"Marley, honey. We are a special type of Mutant. Actually we are basically higher than highers. I'm you, but stronger, smarter, and a hell of a lot meaner. The government sounds like my favorite place, and soon you won't exist." She paused.

"It will only be me. There will be no 'us'. It will always be me. Soon, but for now. I'll let you suffer." She said before disappearing.

Light started coming back and I could hear people clearly now.

"Marley! Please! Let go!" I heard Vernon yelling with a raspy tone. It was as if he was struggling. My arm was tense and once my vision came back I realized I had him pinned against a wall by his neck. I let go of him and stumbled backwards.

"V-V-V-Vernon! I'm so sorry. I-I-I." I was stuttering again.

"Look what you've done to him Marley. Imagine what you'll do to the rest of them. He'll never forgive you. Just let me take over!" The other me forced.

"NO GET OUT OF MY HEAD! I didn't do it! It was you! I won't let you!" I screamed. The others looked at me strangly as I gripped my temples.

"Look at the bruises on his neck. Look how we hurt him!"

"You can't say WE! It wasn't me! It wasn't me! It wasn't me!" I repeated before falling to my knees.

"But it was you Marley. It was your hands. Your body. It was you. You hurt Vernon." She pushed. I stood up and ran for the door. My father stepped in front of me.

"Marley. You are not leaving this room." My father said.

"You aren't a baby anymore. You can't let him control you like that. Or will you let them push you around like a toddler?"

"STOP!" I yelled before screaming frustratedly. Someone grabbed my arm and I pushed them away.

"Don't touch me. I don't want to hurt you. Please." I begged them to stay away. But of course. Vernon didn't listen. He came up and grabbed my arms and I panicked.

"Vernon. Please. She will make me hurt you! Please." I said while struggling. Tears were forming in my eyes as I saw the bruises on his neck. He pulled me into and hug and stroked my hair.

"Sh. It's okay." He said.

"No! I hurt you!" I said before pushing him away.

"Marley. Please. Tell me what's going on! I can't fix anything until you tell me what's wrong." He said.

"I don't know what's going on! It's like there is another one of me! She's stronger and bad. She's trying to take over." I said. I noticed Woozi's eyes widen.

"That's the first person you've killed up close in personal. Right?" He asked. I nodded.

"You have to learn to control her. If you don't, she will take control." Woozi said. He looked down.

"You have to." He said.

"Woozi, how do you know this?" Vernon asked.

"Because Hoshi had another half too. He's long gone now. You killed someone and it triggered your other half. If we can find Hoshi, then we can help her. But if we don't then I don't know now we will help her." Woozi said.

I was terrified.

"Marley. You are going to be okay." Vernon said and pulled my into his chest. He stoked my hair until my breathing slowed.

"I'm not done yet. What are you doing?"

I struggled to get away from Vernon and he just held me tighter.

"Push her away. Relax when she talks to you. Just push her voice away. She's not there." Vernon said.

"Don't you da-"

I pushed her away. Everytime she spoke.

"I will get back. Just wait till you are caught off guard."

I shook my head and her voice just started getting louder.

"What if Namjoon and myself try to cast her out?" Tao said.

"It could work. But it would hurt her. Like the worst headache on earth. And she'd have to be awake." Jin said.

"It won't work. I swear. There is no point." He voice was getting scared.

"It'll work." I said.

"No. Let her try to push her away first. We can't put her through that right now. Let her try herself." Vernon said.

"Hoshi was able to do it himself. She should be able to." Woozi said.

"I will try myself, but if anything else happens. I will make them do it. I don't care how bad it hurts." I said.

"You-" I tried cutting her off, but she just came back.

"You can't win." Her voice was worried. I didn't realize I had tensed up until Vernon held me tighter.

I melted under his touch and my leg started to hurt.

"Come on. You all need food. I'll make dinner then everyone is going to bed. It's been a very long day." Jin said.

He made dinner and I felt bad for not eating it, but my whole body wouldn't let me even touch the fork. Vernon helped me to my room and helped me take off my braces.

"Goodnight, beautiful." He said before kissing my forehead.

"Vernon, can you please stay in here?" I asked. He smiled and nodded.

"Any day." He said. I was relieved that Kyungsoo healed the bruises on his neck, but I still felt horrible for it.

He laid down in the bed and wrapped his arms around me. I quickly fell asleep under his touch.

I was so afraid of sleeping. I was afraid of nightmares, but none came. I think that I can thank Vernon for that.

My only happiness was this boy. I will do anything in my power to protect him. Even if it means from myself.