13

claire;

claire;

i posted it on snapchat as soon as i wrote the caption and headed inside school. today is the last day of school! i only use that word when i'm excited or really mad. i went to my locker and took out all the pictures i had inside. some notes, a little mirror i had just in case i looked awful and a bunch of other stuff.

i threw away everything except the mirror and pictures. i closed the locker and stared at it for a while. school might be awful, but it gives you a lot of memories. i smiled and headed for the courtyard. i sat next to haley who was talking to the girls about some vacation we should all take together.

"claire, wouldn't it be nice to go on a trip together? we would have so much fun!" haley exclaimed. "yeah it would but i don't want to leave my friends at my dad's hanging." i said. "they can totally come!" haley said. "really? wouldn't that be awkward?" i say. 

"how would it be awkward?" callie asks. "you've never met them before and you wouldn't really have anything to talk about." i put my bag on the ground next to me. "true. but if we get to know each other, we'll all become besties!" haley says.

"look, i texted my mom about the whole thing and she actually thinks it's a great idea. she thinks it'll be a way for us to not think about high school and just live!" she showed me a bunch of texts of her and her mom.

"it would be nice to have the whole summer with you guys in it." charlie says. "i'll ask." i simply say. the bell rings and we all get up to leave for first period.

———————

the bell rung signaling the end of the school day and the end of school. some girls were crying and others were just really sad that their middle school years were over. others were happy school was over. i was sad to be honest, but it went away when wesley approached me as i was waiting for my mom to pick me and hayes up.

"hey claire." he said. "hey wesley." i say as he sits next to me. "so i wanted to talk to you about something." he says looking at me seriously. "hayes, do you mind?" i ask looking over at him. "yes i do mind. but i'll leave." he rolls his eyes and gets up to sit somewhere else. i look back over at wesley signaling for him to talk.

"i saw your snapchat. it made me laugh because i didn't get why you were happy. until i realized what today was." he says. "yeah. last day of school. obviously, i'm happy." i say. "well, i wanted to tell you something. i've decided to wait till now because if you don't like what i say, then i won't have to see you for a whole summer." he says. i become curious.

"it can't be that bad." i assure. "i'll let you be the judge of that. so uhh, ever since we started talking, i've become very close to you. you're one of my closest friends here and i really appreciate you for that. whenever i'm near you, though, i become nervous, like right now, and you always seem to put a smile on my face. it's really hard to say to you that i think i've grown feelings for you and i've always found you interesting. what i'm trying to say is, i like you." he looks over at me with an almost red face.