33

claire;

"i don't think scarlett would like that." she says as the last of her tears are drying up on her cheek. i look at her with an obvious face that read, "really?"

"it's a really nice offer but scarlett would kill me if she saw me at your house and we're going to the mall after school and she doesn't like when i cancel." she explains getting up.

"i thought you wanted out of her group." i say. "i do but-" i cut her off. "then come to my house." i say. "but i'm part of a group that hates on you."

"well at least you have the decency to tell me what you really feel about her." i shrug. she's quiet for a moment before agreeing.

"ok, but i'm gonna need your address." she says sitting down again. "i'll write it down." i say. after doing so, i give it to her and she puts it in her binder.

"by the way, scarlett said you looked really ugly in your outfit. and that your outfit was horrible." she says.

"she's so wrong. i have that same jacket by the way." she smiled sadly before leaving.

end of day

"claire!" haley yells as i walk out to the entrance. "oh my gosh. it feels like i haven't talked to you in forever. even though we just had spanish. why haven't you returned my texts? or charlie's or callie's? or mallory's and lulus and tyler! and most importantly, wes!" she scolds.

after a couple seconds of quiet she gasps. "oh my god! did you guys break up? IM SO SORRY!" she hugs me tightly as i laugh inside.

"maybe that's why you've been coming to school with leggings and hoodies." she continues. "no haley. my phone isn't working right now. i'm not getting any text messages and i don't know why." i lie, shrugging.

"and wes and me haven't broken up. why? does he think that?" i ask. "well, he texted me and everyone else yesterday if they knew what the deal was with you right now.

"he says you haven't talked to him since his football game. are you okay?" she asks concerned. "no i'm okay. it's just that i've been deep in my studies lately and ballet. kinda stressed." i half lied.

"well you know you can tell me anything right?" she asks. i nod my head, feeling thankful for her. "well here, you can use my phone to text him."

she hands me her phone and i don't know what to do. so i go with it. my heart is pounding as i click on wes' name.

me: hey !!

wes 🤙🏻: hey haley. have you heard from claire ?? is she okay?? i miss her so much. i was thinking of going over to her house today.

i blushed as i read what he sent in.

me: yeah i'm okay. it's claire wes. you're talking to claire lol.

wes 🤙🏻: claire? IS IT REALLY YOU?!

me: yeah it's me. I MISS U TOO. i'm sorry i haven't messaged back. something's wrong with my phone. also, today's not the best day for you to come over.

wes 🤙🏻: and why not ????

me: i'm having a friend over. 

wes 🤙🏻: and who is this friend

me: her name is mandy!