36

"claire, what happened to your foot? it's all purple!" callie exclaimed. "oh. it's from ballet class. it happens all the time." i shrug.

she laughs while putting the dough into small circles. we were making chocolate chip cookies in home ec or foods. whatever you call it.

"guess what today is?" i ask. "friday?" she guesses. i laugh saying, "no, it's october 1st." "so?" she shrugs.

"it means my birthday is only 12 days away!" i say. "well happy early birthday." she smiles giving me a round shaped cookie dough.

lunch 🥤

hayes wanted to go to wendy's but i didn't really want to. mostly because freshman and sophomores aren't allowed to go off campus during lunch.

in the end, hayes made nash get the food for us since he's a junior. "hayes, you didn't have to get me anything." i say as he hands me a wendy's bag.

"eat it claire." he says as we walk over to my group of friends who have their normal lunches from home. "i brought my own lunch. take it." i say.

he sighs, finally giving in. "is this that "i don't wanna get fat" thing? cause we talked about it claire. you're not. you're honestly worsening yourself by not eating." he whispers to me.

"i am eating. see?" i whisper back, taking out my cheeto puffs, water and fruit snacks. "that fills you up? are you serious?" he whispers.

"what're you guys whispering about?" callie laughs. "something stupid he said." i chuckle. hayes rolls his eyes secretly but i see it.

home 🏠

"here. i saved it for you." hayes gives me the wendy's bag, but i refuse. "let it go hayes." i whine, trying to go up to my room.

"you know? i'm really worried about you and the fact that you're refusing a little bit of junk food is pissing me off. eat it or i tell mom." he threatens.

"hayes chill out." nash walks in. "if she doesn't want it, she doesn't want it. i'll eat it." he takes the bag from hayes, taking out the burger and fries.

as he goes over to heat it up, i go upstairs with hayes following closely behind. i go into my room, trying to close the door to lock it but i'm not fast enough.

i sit on my bed, as he closes he door behind him locking it. he sits next to me and sighs. "claire, our birthday is in 12 days, 7 minutes and 38 seconds."

i chuckle softly. "yes, i've been counting. i don't want you to be sad or uncomfortable when there's cake or pizza being handed out. you don't realize it but you ... you need help. and you need to tell mom and dad." he says.

"but-" he cuts me off. "but nothing, ok? i'll be right there next to you. they won't love you any less. i mean, you kinda are the baby. there's nothing wrong with getting help." he assures me.

by then, i'm full on crying. "thanks hayes. you really are my twin." i say. he rubs my shoulder and brings me in for a hug after. "c'mon." he says.

"we're doing this now?" i say surprised. "can't we do this after our birthday?" i ask. "no way. the sooner the better. i already called dad to come."

later 🕰

my palms are sweating profusely as the doorbell rings. hayes gets up to answer it, me obviously knowing who it is.