58

claire;

i was so tired. it was only day 3 and my feet were killing me. yesterday, i went on a hike with hayes since we got put into groups. we hiked for almost 2 hours.

then again, it was really worth it when we reached the top of one out of many other mountains. the sun was setting and you could see it shine on the lake. you could see almost the whole camp.

it was so beautiful and everyone just stood quietly watching. i think i almost started crying. it kinda gave me some hope that the future wouldn't be so bad.

the hike back seemed worse because it was night by then. i was glad when we got back to the camp, where i saw brett and haley talking.

i looked over seeing charlie give me thumbs up. i responded with thumbs up. i had no clue what they were talking about but i'm guessing something good because when she walked into our cabin, she had the biggest smile on her face.

i slept in since you could do that. i figured out that you can choose anything you want to do as long as it's on the schedule for the day.

i woke up seeing no one else asleep. i was wrong when i saw callie in the bed across from mine. i looked over at the time, which read 11:36 am.

i sighed sitting up. i went into the bathroom, seeing my hair all over the place. i took a shower, changing into overalls that were shorts. i put a simple white shirt under it and put my white birkenstock's on.

i went back out to see callie not on the bed. i looked around and saw her on her bunk, which was on top of mine. i laughed to myself before walking outside.

since i didn't have my phone, i had no clue where any of my friends were. i sat on the steps of the cabin, just looking around.

a few minutes later, a counselor came up to me. "tired from that hike yesterday?" she asked. i nodded. "well there's more where that come from." she says. i try not to roll my eyes as she tells me to choose from the following:

- horse back riding
- canoeing
- kayaking

aren't kayaking and canoeing basically the same thing? i decide on horse back riding, just because i wanted to see some horses.

"you'll have to change for that. wear some sneakers and the rest is fine." after i changed my shoes, she 'escorted' me to these stables and really long long field that went for a few miles.

"go over to the counselor there and he'll tell you what to do." she smiles before walking off. the sun is so hot and it's not good since i just took a shower.

i walk over, seeing sean. i scream happily inside and walk over to him. "hey, you're a little late. we're about to mount." he said.

"catch me up then." i say smiling. he smiles back before it disappears quickly.

——————

i mounted this really beautiful horse with a white spot on its right eye. the rest of her was like a light brown color. her hair was blonde, which made me laugh.

sean's kinda intimidated me but he was so beautiful. he was like a yellow color and his hair was black, which suited him.

it wasn't anything too crazy once we started moving. i was so scared i was gonna fall off or trigger the horse and it would jump up like in the movies.

thank god that was not it. we just walked around the field and then the counselor told us to pick up the pace because we would be going into the woods.

it was relaxing though. i just kept petting her hair the whole time and wasn't really paying attention. when i tried talking to sean, who was in front of me, he wasn't there.

no one was there. they were all gone, like they'd vanished. now i was annoyed and scared. i have no clue how to lead a horse. this was the worst-best thing ever.

we went on for a few more miles, at least that's the way i saw it, and there was an opening. i petted her side, hoping she would stop. thank god she did.

i got off as slowly as possible and she didn't run off. she just sniffed and looked around. i walked over to the ledge, which had a railing. it was like the mountain i hiked. except the sun wasn't setting.

i just stared at everything, seeing some kids kite surfing and others by the campfire. i got back on my horse and kept on the path.

it was a relief that i saw a sign that said the path back to the stables. it was 5 miles away, which shook me to the core.

there was no way in hell that i'd walked that far and had to go that much just to get back, or the horse did. i groaned, and tried making her go faster.

big mistake. i held onto the reins as tight as possible as she dashed through the woods. it was honestly really fun but i was still scared.

1 hour later 🐴

i finally made it back to the stables and got lectured by the counselor in charge. i rolled my eyes as they walked off. i turned around seeing sean trying not to laugh at me. a smile forms on my face as i walk over and push him.

"hey, what're you doing that for?" he asks. "for leaving me all alone, you ass." i smile. "i would never." he says. it starts to rain and he just stares at me, making me feel weird.

why is he always staring at me? and the girl he likes, he's never told me her name. i start to get deep in thought when he waves his hand in my face. "wanna go get some food?" he asks.

i breathe in, nodding my head. he grabs my hand, catching me off guard and he runs, so i run with him. we were so wet by the time we got inside the dining hall. we grabbed some food and ate it back at our cabins.

"why're you guys so wet?" i look over, seeing wes and hayes. "it was raining and we wanted food." i reply. "what'd you guys do?" wes asks.

"we rode some horses." sean says. "you guys rode horses? and you didn't tell me? asses." hayes mutters that last part. i ask them what they did.

"we went rock climbing. i almost died and nash was there with the guys and they wouldn't stop laughing at me. asses." he rolls his eyes.

"aw. poor hayes." i coo. "whatever. i'm gonna go take a shower." he walks in his cabin, leaving the 3 of us. "i think i'm gonna go take a shower too." sean says and waves before leaving.

"can i ask you a question?" wes asks. i nod. "how come you always choose sean over me?" he asks. "no i don't." i say. "claire, yes you do. i literally sit here waiting for you and you choose him over me."

"okay, where is this even coming from?" i ask. "hayes told me you did every little thing with sean those last few months of school. you guys even went to the beach together! why do you think i'm your boyfriend claire? we're supposed to do those things together." he sighs before getting up and i follow.

"wes, we're just friends!" i exclaim. he stops, turning around. "do you have feelings for him?" he asks. "what?! no! only you wes." i say. "only you." my heart is beating fast now and my eyes start to water.

it starts pouring rain (hehehe) and soon, you can't even tell i'm crying because we're both so wet. his jaw clenches and he gives me an unexpectedly long kiss, and i hold onto his arms.

"i'm sorry." he says, holding my face in his hands. "i'm sorry."

———————
pretty intense. i was also listening to sad songs by ari so that's what probably inspired this 😌!
- ash 🤠
42819