57

claire;

when it was time for the campfire, we all walked to it, which felt like miles. once we did though, it was actually kinda pretty. a bunch of people gathered around this big fire, looking over the lake as the sun set. i took a quick picture.

there was some speech that the founders said, then came all these rules from all 12 of the counselors. 3 lead a grade, in total 12. then came the hardest part.

they said they'd keep the phones in seperate zip log bags with our names written in sharpie on them. they'd put them in a box categorized by what grade you're in and what cabin for that grade.

so my phone was with the rest of the girls phones in one box with our names on the bags. very organized, i was sort of impressed.

then everyone dispersed and by then, the sun had set and it was now dark. we had to be in our cabins by 10:00 pm, while juniors and seniors had to be in their cabins by 11:00 pm.

i stayed outside hanging out with the girls and the guys till 10:00 pm came. i couldn't fall asleep and there was nothing else to do but stare at the ceiling ... or stare at the bottom of the top bunk.

that was yesterday. today, we were up by 7:35. in the morning. it was literally school. i was not dressing up so early in the morning so i just changed what i wore to bed.

i went with one of wes' sweatshirts, some shorts and my "jesus sandals" as hayes calls it. i put my hair in a pony tail and went with the girls outside.

surprisingly, the guys were also heading outside. they looked so dead though, except for wes. we held hands as we walked to the dining hall.

"how'd you sleep?" he asks. "like a dog when there's a thunderstorm." i say. he frowns. "i'm sorry love. you don't need your beauty sleep anyways. you're already beautiful." he boops my cheek.

i smile, leaning my head on his shoulder as we walk. when we get to the dining hall, it's packed. and really big. almost like the ones on college campus'.

i know this because i ate at one when i went to see Will that one time. there's one long table that hasn't been taken and we choose to sit there.

i sit next to wes, across from tyler, who got here right before we were supposed to go to the campfire site. wes offers to get me my food and me being lazy and not wanting to get up, i let him.

after brekie 🥞

i looked at the clock that was placed on the nightstand and it read 9:30 am. they gave us a schedule for the week so we already knew what to do.

"what're you guys gonna do right now?" i ask. we were back in our cabin, changing. "water skiing actually sounds cool." mallory says.

"it's too early to get wet." callie says. that was true but i saw that we could go swimming so i decided i'd do that. "you can just sit on the boat then." mallory says.

"true ... ok! only because you asked." she gets up to go change. charlie, haley and lulu decided they'd all go swimming with me.

i changed into a 2 piece high waisted pink and white striped bikini that had a ruffle along the chest area.

i wore some shorts and a shirt over it, along with my birkenstocks

i wore some shorts and a shirt over it, along with my birkenstocks. i put my hair in a ponytail and grabbed my towel. i waited for the rest of them to get ready before heading down to the lake.

callie and mallory got onto one of the boats, with some cute boys as well. mallory jumped and waved at us as the boat started to move.

"what is she doing?" lulu asked, pointing towards the boat. i looked over, seeing mallory getting on top of the boat. "maybe she's trying to impress."charlie said. we laugh as she slips, almost falling into the water.

"ladies! glad to see you here!" brett smiles. he stretches right in front of us, as if he wants us to see his 'muscles'. "i'm so sorry about him." braden says.

haley giggles, watching brett stretch too hard. they get in the water, as i look back between brett and haley. then, i get it.

"haley .... are you crushing on brett?" i ask. "ew. why would you think that?" she sits up. "because you're staring at him and you're giggling." i defend.

i nudge charlie, who is about to fall asleep. "what happened?" she asks. i fill her in on what i think and her eyes go wide.

"please don't tell me you have a crush .... on him." she says. haley doesn't say anything and avoids looking at us. "oh my god haley!" charlie laughs and i join in too.

"why didn't you say anything?" i ask. "because i knew you guys would react this way." she says. "aww. ...... why?" charlie asks.

"why what?" haley says, finally looking at us. "you know what." charlie says. haley sighs, looking at brett. "well, he's attractive. and he's funny. he seems tough but he's somewhat soft." a smile begins to form on her face.

"but i think he has a crush on you, claire." i feel a little bad but what am i supposed to do? "i doubt it. brett knows she's with wes. he might seem like a douche but he wouldn't do that." charlie says.

i nod my head for assurance. "even if he doesn't like you, it'll never happen. he's the hot football guy and i'm the quiet, shy girl." haley says.

"hales! some guys actually think that's cute! you should go for it." i say. she just shrugs and looks somewhere else.

i look at charlie and she shrugs as well. i lay back on the towel, feeling a little guilty about this whole situation.

———————
yikes. it's like a love triangle. except claire has no feelings towards brett. does that count ? i feel like it doesn't now that i think about it. - ash 💡
3/11/19