42

claire;

"so i'm happy to announce that we are having our first ballet recital/concert in a while." Ms. Wilson says. i look at willow with the happiest face ever and she claps her hands like a child.

"so, can anyone guess which ballet we are doing?" everyone immediately starts to yell out ballets and by the end, she looks very pleased with how excited everyone is.

"we will be doing the iconically, Swan Lake!" she squeals. everyone gasps and looks at each other, murmuring their responses to one another.

"yes i know. i'm also very thrilled. i also know that it's a very big production but i have been saving up my money as well as receiving donations to make this happen." she explains. "further donations are accepted as well."

"have you already decided who's playing who? or are there gonna be auditions?" one of the girls, karla asks. "yes. i will be announcing them on thursday."

"but that means we have to wait 2 days since it's tuesday." willow points out. "ok fine. if you guys insist. the role for odette is ... claire!"

everyone claps for me and i feel stunned. "me? why me?" i ask. "well, you've come back to ballet even after you thought you'd never do it again. you've improved over time and i think this role will only lead you farther into your improvement." she says.

"but you need to take it seriously. i know i'm never serious but i really want to do this right and this is the most important role. no pressure." she says.

"odile will be played by mandy campbell. she's in another class like you guys. she doesn't know it yet so don't spoil it if you know her." she laughs.

mandy campbell? scarlett's friend mandy? oh my god. i felt even more stunned as Ms. Wilson called out all the other roles.

maybe she doesn't want anyone to know? maybe scarlett doesn't know? "claire did you hear me? i said i'm the queen!" she yelps.

"what?" i ask confused. "the queen. the mother of the prince." she says. "oh. congrats!" i side hug her since we're sitting on the floor.

"congrats me? congrats you? you're lead role." she says. "yeah, i don't know if i'm that advanced." i shrug. "of course you are. why else would she pick you?" she asks. i shrug again, leaving it at that.

next day at school 🦄

i was struggling in english since the only thing i could focus on was mandy doing ballet. it's really surprising. i was going to text her about it but decided i'd ask her in person instead.

lunch 🥙

i stood at my locker, fixing my earring that was trying to leave my ear hole. (lol, i'm nasty af) as i did, people walked by me saying hey to me.

"see, you are popular." brett says. "i'm not." i roll my eyes. "more than a dozen people said hi to you as they walked by." he defends.

"he's gotta point." braden says. "we're not friends anymore." i joke. braden gasps, pushing brett. "look what you did dumb ass."

"you're the dumb ass." brett replies. i giggle, getting my lunch bag and phone. "aww what a cute laugh you have babe." brett caresses my face.

i push his hand away, feeling weird. "dude she's got a" braden starts. "boyfriend. i know." brett finishes. "well, i'm gonna go eat." i smile.