The Good News

Mahendra felt a chill run down his spine. But then he saw Avantika trying to tend Devasena's wounds.

"Rani Devasena! This may burn a little"

Devasena turned to the younger woman and smiled. She kept her wounded hands on her cheeks.

"After being tied to a pole for more than 2 decades, nothing can affect me amma."

Every eyes there turned fiery. MAhendra, Avantika and Naayaka fisted their palms controlling their anger, while Kattappa stood with his head bowed down.

"Rani Devasena, you are a warrior, Our queen. Why did you go through this.."

"It was my oath to stay there as I waited for Mahendra to come and release me and punish that Bhallaladeva for what he had done. So I stayed as prisoner all the time and reminded him of his death. But that agyani was not clever enough to understand the message."

"But Rani.. Still you could.."

"I could have broken those chains and escaped the second I wanted to. But that was not my oath. I wanted my son to avenge my husband's and his father's death."

Mahendra promised to himself that he would make sure that his mother's oath to be fulfilled.

He looked at Avantika with a meaningful look and she nodded.

"Amma, that good for nothing fellow.."

He paused not knowing how to address Bhadra. Kattappa came to his aid.

" Bhallaladeva's son!"

" No doubt there! Such good for nothings are born to such vile creature!"

"Mahendra"

Devasena admonished him. But she was actually smiling seeing her son's nature.

"Do not control him RAni Devasena. He is not wrong you know"

"I know. That doesnt give him the liberty to disrespect his elders"

"You call those 2 people elders Amma? REspect is earned Amma. You know this better."

Mahendra burst with Anger. Now Devasena actually laughed out loud followed by Naayaka. Mahendra looked at them in confusion. Devasena caressed Mahendra's stubbled cheeks smiling.

"You know Mahendra, you are so like me."

Mahendra frowned. Kattappa thatha said he was image of his father.

"YOu look like you father. But others.. Me"

"Really?

He asked delighted to know how similar he was to his parents.

"I asked the same question to you Nanna."

"Why?"

"Well.. He was all hell bent on giving respect to Bhallaladeva as he was elder to you Nanna by whole fortnight. I got so angry and I asked this question only to have him laugh at me"

Mahendra too smiled knowing how easily his mother could be angered. He turned to NAayaka letting Devasena to think about the day of adventures.

After the warriors were tended to, they all dispersed to the royal dispensaries to take rest. But Naayaka, Sulochana, Devasena and Amarendra went back to royal study to discuss the situation. But all the way Naayaka was on scolding spree.