A Story to tell

"WHAT ?"

Mahendra asked with his eyes wide.

"Wasn't Ravinagaram Yuvaraja Indhuavadan very young that time?"

Devasena asked. Kattappa shook his head.

"After Raja Vivasvan had an argument with Maharani Prasanna Devi, he immediately went back and announced that his 15 year old son will take the throne soon and for which he will also get married soon. They decided that their own niece will be his wife, Yuvarani Jeevani. They got them married soon so that they can have the coronation soon. I don't know what Raja Vivasvan was thinking. But then soon after Badra was born we got the news that Yuvaraja Idhuvadan and Yuvarani Jeevani were to become parents and later they gave birth to a boy. And before we can even digest these, problems rouse in our own fortress and then.."

Everyone understood what Kattappa was not saying.

Mahendra looked at his foster parents.

"You knew this?"

Chandrayya just nodded his head.

"Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"All elders know about this. Since we knew the one who destroyed the royal family was still alive and was spreading terror through his tyranny, and when we knew that he had sent men to kill you, who were still a baby, killing one more wouldn't be a problem, we thought to keep it quiet. We wanted his safety. Just like we wanted yours."

Sanga explained to Mahendra.

"When Mallanna and Sammakka brought him and told us about the killings and the fire, our first thought was to save the just born child. His parents, Yuvaraja Indhuvadan and his wife, Jeevani gave him to Mallanna and Sammakka who were working there to help her deliver the child."

Chandrayya said and looked at Amarendra and Devasena who had eyes only on the boy. Shailendra stood there without saying anything. But his demeanor screamed his pent up anger. Amarendra went near the boy who was not much younger than Mahendra.

"I want to hear it from you"

Was all he said.

"What I say will be only the versions that I have heard. Just like your son did not know anything about his birth, I knew nothing too."

"For how long have you been hearing?"

Devasena asked.

"Since I can understand my surroundings. For a very long time."

"We did not want him to be deprived of the truth of his birth."

Mallanna said for his son, whom he brought up with much affection and devotion.

"Did you want to do anything about your birthplace?"

Devasena asked.

"I did."

Devasena and Amarendra frowned. So did others.

"I stood with my friend. I helped him defeat the person who made me an orphan. Who killed my Athaiyya just for choosing the right. So I have done my right to my birthplace."

Shailendra said with his head held high.

"But, Ravinagaram.."

Vismaya wanted to tell about the place that is nothing but wasteland now. But Shailendra cut her.