Another Revelation

"Annaiyya.. Don't be a spoilt sport. Come on!"

Mahendra teased Aslam who was looking into the old trade and treasury accounts. Mahendra was practicing his archery skills in their private open garden

"Let me do my work. I have to submit these so that Ammi can decide on renovation of Kunthalam. And I should also work on the Tax that is to be collected from here on. So far, no one has made any account of it but there has been a lot of money taken from people and it has been wasted on nothing good."

"Oh oh oh.. Relax. All I wanted was a sparring partner."

"Anthey kada. Look there. A perfect partner for you is coming."

Aslam said, smiling and looked down at the palm sheets. Mahendra frowned and looked up to see Avantika coming to him with her sword pulled out. Mahendra thought for a moment for the reason of her angry strides and then remembered how he had pulled a prank on her by putting a fake bow string that when tied to the bow will alter the arch of the bow to an extent that it would be unfit for archery.

"Partner? That is my death walking to me. Save me Annaiyya..."

Saying Mahendra ran from there while Avantika too chased him.

"Avantika! What is wrong?"

"He broke my bow with his stupid fake string."

"It was not fake. It was a string that Amma designed for catapult, for the small kids to learn to aim."

"But it was not a bowstring anyway. STOP RIGHT THERE!"

"I love my life better to listen to you."

Mahendra said and very quickly climbed a tree and sat on the tallest branch.

"GET DOWN!"

"No!"

He said as he threw down ripe berries and leaves.

Avantika looked around to see if anyone would condemn her if she tried climbing the tree as she was not a rebel living in the wild anymore.

But before she could climb, she heard Mahendra yelling. She looked up to see an arrow that whirred past him making him lose his balance while two stones hit him square on his forehead.

"Amma! Vathina!"

Mahendra yelled as he fell down. Avantika turned to see Devasena with a bow and Arzoo with a catapult.

"Dare to trouble Avantika!"

Devasena hid her smile while Arzoo looked at Devasena grinning.

"This new string is really good for catapult Ammi."

"And you had to check that on me?"

"I checked it right Yuvaraja. Unlike you, who put it on Avantika's bow."

"He always does this! Last time, he changed my target, while practicing aiming, this time bow string. TOday I am not leaving him."

She pulled out her dagger and MAhendra hid behind Devasena to save his life.

"Maharani, ask him to come out."

"No!"

"Mahendra!"

That one word, a call brought the obedient son from behind her to face Avantika. As Avantika moved forward with her sword, Mahendra very easily defended her attack with very less movements and without tiring himself. Avantika was a good match for him as her attacks also involved much less tiring movements.