A Mother's Love

Sivagami was standing there looking at her grandson sleeping. Veerabhadradeva, her Bhalla's son. How she wished to see her Baahu's child too grow up with Bhadra. At that moment she saw Prasanna entering and composed herself.

"Enti Prasanna?"

"Bavagaru came to take Kattappa with him."

Sivagami frowned.

"He was not on royal grounds if that's what you are worried about Rajamata"

Sivagami looked at Prasanna. She remembered Kattappa's and Naayaka's promise to take the child first.

"Bavagaru is happy."

Prasanna added and saw a fleeting smile on Sivagami's face which vanished as fast as it came.

"Devasena needs us the most now."

Sivagami closed her eyes and saw the scene that happened in the court a few days back behind her closed her eyes.

"Rajadrogulu gurinchi.."

"Is prohibited.. In that case Rajamata.. Its your son who should be thrown out in first place. And by son, I mean Maharaja. Meeru adi inka artham chesukoka povadam siggu chetu. Its a shame that you still don't see it."

Saying Prasanna marched out taking Bhadra for feeding. Sivagami stood there unreacting. She knew that somewhere Baahu was at right. But she saw him struggle these past 8 months. Even Devasena. And she knew that they were happy wherever they were.

But she also could never forgive him for descending the throne at such crucial time. If only he stayed as King, this situation would never have arised maybe!

She disguised herself in simpleton clothes and left the palace to the place where Baahu and Devasena were staying.

On her way she proudly saw all the changes in the village. The changes Baahu said he would do once he was on the throne, but he still did them even if he was not a king.

It was close to dawn as she reached their place and hid behind a rock there as she saw Baahu pacing outside as Kattappa, sulochana and Naayaka tried calming him down with no effect.

Then she saw him smile and look at the sky. She too saw the sun rising and smiled. So her grandchild was here and it was the best time of the day.

She saw the proceedings as Kattappa and Naayaka went inside. But frowned looking at Sulochana standing outside. Were Baahu and Devasena giving into the superstitions of the villagers?

But she chuckled seeing Naayaka pulling Sulochana inside not minding her protests. She knew Devasena well. She moved closer to their place. She saw them enjoying time with the newborn and her eyes welled up. But then she heard Baahu.

"Mama, Amma ki.."

"Cheptanu baahu"

"Vadina ki kuda"

Sivagami understood that Baahu's mind was still there in the palace around his people. But certain things were better they way they were. She moved to the back side and saw the midwife cleaning the baby while Devasena was waiting.

She veiled herself and moved to help the midwife clean and change Devasena. If the Midwife felt odd or if Devasena identified her, they did not show and she did not care.

For a moment, she held her grandson and felt the same feeling when she held Baahu. She looked at him. He opened his eyes and looked at her. His eyes.. Were like Devasena. But his stance..

"Mahendra Baahubali"

She whispered and her grandson cooed making her smile in contrast to the eyes that were glassy.