The First Flower of the Season

Devasena was checking the boiling rice when she heard the wail. She immediately brought down the vessel and called to her son who was creating a ruckus with his wail.

"Nanna... Mahendra.."

The wail went down hearing her call. She smiled.

"Enti Nanna.. Why are you crying?"

He made sound as she wiped her hand and took him out of the cloth cradle. She chuckled as she saw him open his eyes and look at her. He hated the wood cradle Amarendra made and prefered the cloth cradle he had made out of her saree or his panche.

"Enti Nanna?"

She cooed and he cooed back shaking his hands. His face immediately turned to her bosom making her chuckle.

"Ahan.. My son is hungry."

Saying she settled down and as soon as she held him close, he made a go for it making her chuckle.

"Abbo! Very much eager! Nana laa"

Mahendra kicked his leg making her giggle. He was already more than a fortnight old and he was very quick with reflex and response. He hate lying back down. He prefered to lie his face down and now that his head got grip, he lay there looking around and making noises and kicking his legs and shaking hands.

Amarendra used to watch him like wonder, cherishing every moment of his son. Devasena smiled. She was so sure that her son would grow up to be like his father, because he loved being around people and became happy with small small things.

She chuckled. She knew that it was too early to even think such things. But she so wanted Mahendra to be like her husband. Very loyal, straightforward, a great warrior with a heart of gold that is pure like a baby.

She felt Mahendra pushing and pulled him out and laid him on the mattress. As she adjusted her saree she heard Mahendra make angry sounds. She shook her head and removed the cloth that she wound around him.

"You always keep giving me work. When will I cook for Nana? He will come for lunch now."

Saying she put the cloth for cleaning and wound him in another cloth which made him make more angry noise.

"Nanna! Stay still. If you dont wear this.. Then how"

Saying she wound him and lay him face down and he looked up cooing.

"Stubborn!"

She said and went to cooking place to start the fire again to cook, when she heard Sulochana. She frowned.

"Rani Devasena"

She ran to Sulochana and brought her in and settled her on the mattress.

"Emayindi Sulochana.."

Sulochana panted.

"Adi.. noppulu.."

Devasena already guessed. She whistled for Veera who was standing there behind the house grazing. Mahendra looked up with surprise and made a squeaking noise at his mother's whistle making the ladies chuckle.

"Yuvaraja.. excited"

Sulochana said chuckling. Devasena moved out to Veera who came outside squealing. She gave her sugar treats and caressed her mane.

"Veera. Go to Muthyalamma's house. There Amarendra and Naayaka will be working. Bring them here. Sulochana needs Naayaka"

Squealing veera galloped. Hearing her squeal, Mahendra made noise.

"Nanna, Mahendra."

Mahendra looked up at her listening to her as she laid him on his back.

"See, Sulochana Athaiyya needs my help right now. So you are going to stay quiet. And sleep. Ok?"